3d scanning laptop

smarthouseplans

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
I want to make sure I get a good portable laptop to do 3D scanning (and modeling) with but I don't know what part of the computer is taxed the most by the 3D scanner? What part do I need to make sure is really, really good to make sure I can get optimal scans with a high-resolution scanner? The 3d scanner sales people and Tech don't seem to want to tell me what part of the computer 3d scanners use most.

Solution
Would help if you provide some details about this scanner you want to use and the software you will be using. No way to know the requirements without anything to go on. For saving a file, CPU, hard drive speeds and RAM are the main things. For working with images, all those plus the video card. How large are these files going to be? How many will you be saving? Etc...

You also did not list a budget or size for the system you are looking for. A good all-around system will be about $700 for most uses that will include a decent video card and a solid state hard drive.

smarthouseplans

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
THANKS for helping!!

Yeah, I guess my real question is does anyone out there know what a 3D scanner taxes the most on a computer? I see minimum specs each scanner requires for computer componentry, but my hope here at Tom's guide is to find out not the minimum but what will make scanning with a 3D scanner a breeze? Meaning does a typical 3d scanner use processor? does it use more cores? does it use more graphic Ram or regular Ram? Etc...

I do know this: when scanning the 3D scanner is taking a lot of pictures and trying to consolidate each picture to the last creating a 3D model as it does so. So what would be getting taxed the most in order for a computer to do that?

Once someone can help me answer that, And since I need the system to be mobile, I would then like to know what laptop pieces or even which complete laptop will work best to make 3-D scanning really sing?

I'd like to stay under $2k if i can?

Does that help?

For your budget you can get a laptop that is balanced and fast in all functions.

Go to www.xoticpc.com, find something you like there. Anything in the $1,200+ range will be fast enough for anything to work effectively.

Solution