40 Billionaires Pledge Away Half Their Wealth

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adribhel

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
[citation][nom]geofry[/nom]These kind of people have always been generous with their money towards the end of their lives. It's either that or the Feds are going to snatch up 60% and piss it away on other things unimportant to them.[/citation]

Truth. And even if they give away 99% of what they have, they still have alot more than they need.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... because the paper is worth nothing... but they exchange it for gratitude... because we believe the money... and giving power away for money....

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
cool! i don't see what those people do with all their money anyway, do you need another house? DO YOU? no, you don't, you can only use one at a time. come on! after some point, all that money is just showing off.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]Yea and how often do you see that happen? I'm still waiting for the bum that comes up and asks for a sandwich instead of asking for a few bucks to buy one (which really means buying booze). These billionaires are wealthy for a reason, not chance. They worked their asses off, were creative and competitive. They have absolutely no obligation to share their wealth with anyone else because it is their money and no one elses. Yea they would look like douches for hoarding it all and just sitting on it but they can if they want.I think it speaks well to their character when they give back, no matter how big or small the amount.[/citation]
You're forgetting that a lot of them inherited companies, or took them over by manipulation, or they grew by luck. Look at Microsoft, prior to Win7 absolutely everyone hated them, and yet, we all have to buy their products, making them a mint.

I'd say the people who worked under them deserved most of their fortune.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
a fact about life I read once in time magazine (sorry no details on issue number i can't find the issue and it was about 2 years ago that i read this) , something like 60% of the world's wealth is in the hands of just 1/50th of the world's population ... some food for though last census put the world's population soemwhere around 6.5 billion people .. so there are about 120 million rich folks in the world (rough estimate). if 40 of them give away half or more of thier wealth that still leaves a lot of rich folks hogging the cash :p

flip_x

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I say since there is about 300-400k in the United States population.. or about 6.6 billion in the world.. they can all afford to give us a few million each with left over to charity's..

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Steve Jobs was going to donate his entire bank account from what I've read. The problem was he was holding his debit card a certain way and all his money in the account mysteriously dwindled into nothingness.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]With the economy the way it is they might want to give a little less of it away. Their families I am sure are not happy about this.[/citation]

Wealthy families are pretty open about their money. They have everything from birth so generosity is an easy thing for them. Poor people would be really unhappy giving away half of $1000.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Five words:

Build a high speed monorail.

Replace the highway transportation system. Save us money in the long run through efficiency and less maintenance than the VERY expensive HTS. Save lives in the long run, no more deer to hit, drunk drivers, blind people, pedestrians, kids chasing balls, potheads on the way to Taco Bell, gigantic potholes, poor county road drainage hydroplaning, blown tires, roadway hazards of various kinds, etc. etc. etc.

Combine your wealth, build the monorail. Fix the economy for future generations and bring America to the lead in technology and wealth once again. Consider it a long term investment for America. Lord knows the Fed will never get it done.

If you disagree with this, argue that against all the nations devoted to high speed trains. Look at the airline industry's aging fleets and financial struggles. Not to mention the pollution caused by both the airlines and the HTS. Monorails? EFFICIENT. Less drag, computerized, above ground, less friction, less repair. Do it.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]You read, but you apparently didn't understand.Motivation is the key. There are exceptions, but when you start getting into huge sample sets, as in millions, the exceptions become unimportant.Capitalism works because it understands the nature of man, and motivates him. Communism has failed. Even China has moved away from it.Having a greater population than the United States, and greater resources, yet having half the GNP, is hardly an example of success. In fact, the system collapsed. Do you think it's coincidence that all Communist countries have been poor? Just look at Germany after WW II. West Germany was very wealthy, East Germany was miserable. It's not all coincidence. Reading books is great. But, living life is what matters. In books, even Communism can look OK. In life, it can't.[/citation]

Capitalism is a great idea...but in practice fails also. Coin was developed for taxation. Credits can be traded between barterers, no officially shared credit distributed by a government is required. Capitalism in theory breeds hard work, but in practice breeds greed and the laziness of a select few. Do you think CEOs making millions who retire a short while later, or run off with retirement funds/pensions deserve the fortune created by millions of man hours when they themselves worked for a mere few years? Its a simple concept, enslave the poor uneducated and profit off their labor. Capitalism is the root of all evil because it makes us lust after wealth. Communism itself is bad because it can still distribute wealth as it sees fit. We need to bring honor back to the world, and its good to see the super wealthy realizing this. In a way, they are correcting their evil - the wealth they achieved was by playing fairly amidst the laws of our society. They as individuals cannot be faulted, it is the fault of society for allowing such practice. We are ALL at fault - for our toleration of capitalism, taxation without representation (I speak against high fed taxes all the time, the States should be loaning money to the Fed when required, not vice versa), and for allowing politicians to make more than six figures. I think there needs to be salary caps on government jobs (including perks). That way we'd return power to the people and actually have our representatives REPRESENTING US, and SERVING the people. The senate is just a big social club and needs to be gotten rid of. Return power to the states, and return the state power to the locals. No decision should be made without the consent of the masses through REAL representation. Let our STATES decide where our money goes, and not the Fed. Like I said, the Fed needs to be requesting resources, not the other way around. The next president candidate who vows to drastically cut the power of the Fed and return power to the States is the one I actually go out and vote for. Until then democracy is dead.

Here are some links that helped me understand the crap rot of our real social system. We as citizens need to start lobbying and demand change. If we want to breathe right again and fix our debt slave society then we need to do away with valueless paper money that is not backed by gold, and return power to the people.

Citizens educate yourselves, know thy role, and demand your freedom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_currency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_Shock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Fund#
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-globalization_movement

I threw this one in just because I found a lot of the information to be fascinating, and it is relevant to the global distribution of wealth, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Capitalism is a great idea...but in practice fails also. Coin was developed for taxation. Credits can be traded between barterers, no officially shared credit distributed by a government is required. Capitalism in theory breeds hard work, but in practice breeds greed and the laziness of a select few. Do you think CEOs making millions who retire a short while later, or run off with retirement funds/pensions deserve the fortune created by millions of man hours when they themselves worked for a mere few years? Its a simple concept, enslave the poor uneducated and profit off their labor. Capitalism is the root of all evil because it makes us lust after wealth. Communism itself is bad because it can still distribute wealth as it sees fit. We need to bring honor back to the world, and its good to see the super wealthy realizing this. In a way, they are correcting their evil - the wealth they achieved was by playing fairly amidst the laws of our society. They as individuals cannot be faulted, it is the fault of society for allowing such practice. We are ALL at fault - for our toleration of capitalism, taxation without representation (I speak against high fed taxes all the time, the States should be loaning money to the Fed when required, not vice versa), and for allowing politicians to make more than six figures. I think there needs to be salary caps on government jobs (including perks). That way we'd return power to the people and actually have our representatives REPRESENTING US, and SERVING the people. The senate is just a big social club and needs to be gotten rid of. Return power to the states, and return the state power to the locals. No decision should be made without the consent of the masses through REAL representation. Let our STATES decide where our money goes, and not the Fed. Like I said, the Fed needs to be requesting resources, not the other way around. The next president candidate who vows to drastically cut the power of the Fed and return power to the States is the one I actually go out and vote for. Until then democracy is dead.Here are some links that helped me understand the crap rot of our real social system. We as citizens need to start lobbying and demand change. If we want to breathe right again and fix our debt slave society then we need to do away with valueless paper money that is not backed by gold, and return power to the people.Citizens educate yourselves, know thy role, and demand your freedom:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_currencyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_Shockhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter [...] tary_Fund#http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti- [...] n_movementI threw this one in just because I found a lot of the information to be fascinating, and it is relevant to the global distribution of wealth, etc:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold[/citation]
I agree with you. In most of the corporations, most of the earnings go into the pocket of a few guys sitting in board of directors while the foot soldiers of the organization keep working but get much less for their work compared to the top few. Though the kind of work is different, still 2% of a corporation taking away more than 50% of earnings means highly skewed distribution.
Read "Freakonomics" 3rd chapter if you want to know.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]you realize these "donations" are tax write offs.....as if most of them don't have an army of CPAs figuring out how best not to pay taxes year and year out....[/citation]

And?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Five words:Build a high speed monorail.Replace the highway transportation system. Save us money in the long run through efficiency and less maintenance than the VERY expensive HTS. Save lives in the long run, no more deer to hit, drunk drivers, blind people, pedestrians, kids chasing balls, potheads on the way to Taco Bell, gigantic potholes, poor county road drainage hydroplaning, blown tires, roadway hazards of various kinds, etc. etc. etc.Combine your wealth, build the monorail. Fix the economy for future generations and bring America to the lead in technology and wealth once again. Consider it a long term investment for America. Lord knows the Fed will never get it done.If you disagree with this, argue that against all the nations devoted to high speed trains. Look at the airline industry's aging fleets and financial struggles. Not to mention the pollution caused by both the airlines and the HTS. Monorails? EFFICIENT. Less drag, computerized, above ground, less friction, less repair. Do it.[/citation]

Ha, laughed my ass off, post of the week.

illegalmonkey

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Little do people know most of these billionaires either own or have created msot charities behind the scenes. So they're only giving their money to themselves to avoid taxes and other stuff. All they're really doing is laundering money. You'd think most things would have been cured or fixed up long ago w/ all the billions tossed at these charities, but guess what? Not much has changed. So that money is going somewhere else apparently...

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]This is why capitalism works people... humans with excess money give it away out of the goodness of their hearts. sort of defeats the whole premise of tax the rich now doesnt it?[/citation]

LOL you know that's not true.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Steve Jobs: Hey come on guys, iDonate!!! ,its a new app you can purchase in the app store exclusively designed by me. Together with your money and my innovation we can change the world!

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Really really really like to see these guys give away some of their monies to charities that are desperate situations. Research and medical, education is noble causes and I respect their donations. Why are they not giving to organizations like the open door mission, World vision,Pilgramafrica, voice of the martyrs, AFA, inner city programs. These charities could definitely use some help. We live so fat and healthy and ignore or turn a blind eye to poor situations. We walk by them everyday and say it's pathetic or it's their fault maybe. Justifying our distance. Do they want to give to feel better about themselves or do they really want to help? Just my thots imho, I'm just as guilty as they are :(

The silent Majority

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
If any of you billionaires are reading, could you send me about $100k so I can pay off my student loans, debts, car payments, and other miscellaneous payments I need to make...I'd be eternally grateful, and I'm not asking to become a millionaire over night either...100k should be pocket change to you guys.

Thanks!

I can only wish and hope for it...

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I think Jobs is merely a multi-millionaire. I think if he gave away any money, he would feel it.

Nah, who am I kidding. He's a tool ...

Status
Not open for further replies.