403 Forbidden with one user account only

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
One user account of a Win7/64 bit / IE8 system gets the following error message while trying to access any of the web pages of the website of the city we live in.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thus, no access to transit info, library info, property tax office info or anything on the site.

Using a different user account on the same PC does not result in the error message and the web pages display properly.

Tried to checked and verify the same user internet settings between all users. Same PC, same internet connection, same hardware, same software.

And it is only the one website. No other website causes this problem for the user account.

Suggestions?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Local accounts on the PC attached to a home wired network. Any other PC used has no problem for that user. The particular account in question is the single admin account on that PC. Can't get rid of that.

I'm thinking you already deleted all temp files and cookies off the browsers used, but if not, do that.

You can create a new admin user account, you don't have to use the built-in administrator account.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I run Norton Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and CCleaner on a regular basis.

It's a pain to work around. Same hardware, same internet connection, same software used by multiple users.

Funny thing is that the website in question used to be accessible by all user accounts. It only started happening this summer.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
So... Something else started happening that I Googled for a solution. I had started getting "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" but only when I was closing IE8. Couldn't help but think that of course it had stopped working, it was closing down.

My search ended up at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-message/76fb744d-a7a0-4b67-91c5-a524c901af5a

Did the reset - reset that they suggested.

Error message disappeared. Wow I thought. Did it fix the 403 error as well? Sure enough, it did fix that as well.

Was I the victim of that faulty security upgrade that came out in July? Also, I hear IE9 is buggy for Win7 64 bit systems so I do not want to up[grade. And I use IE to acces my workplace system from home so alternatives are out.

Thanks to all though for suggestions

(edit) MOderator, please go ahead and close this thread.