42-inch LED HDTVs to Drop Below $400 Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Still rocking 480P on my old tube 'hd' TV in the living room. Anything demanding is watched on the computer, which has a decent 27" at 3-4' away which is plenty big screen for my wife and I. I'm debating about either a 1080p projector for a true big screen experience, or waiting for 4K or 8K screens to come out in a few years.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Wow, a Samsung tattoo on the woman that is showing off (or creepily caressing) a Samsung TV which is displaying another Samsung TV. Isn't that just a little overboard?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So wait, this article keeps going on about LED TV's, so is Black Friday going to offer 42" LED TV's for less than $400 or LCD TV's for that price? Just trying to clarify since LED kind of came out of no where in the article.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]My old SONY is dying. Definitely will be looking for one for Black Friday.[/citation]
Yeah my old Sony TV died within a couple years too. Sony makes great audio stuff but their TVs are junk.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Wow, a Samsung tattoo on the woman that is showing off (or creepily caressing) a Samsung TV which is displaying another Samsung TV. Isn't that just a little overboard?[/citation]

Yo dawg, we heard you like Samsung....

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Wow, a Samsung tattoo on the woman that is showing off (or creepily caressing) a Samsung TV which is displaying another Samsung TV. Isn't that just a little overboard?[/citation]
Egad. She has one on her hand too.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Two tattoos actually (chest / hand).

On topic, I think the market is pretty saturated at this point. Anyone that actually cares about having new tech already has a decent 40"+ TV. The initial rush for everyone to buy a new LCD to replace their CRT has finished and now people are back to buying on a more normal cycle, which for TVs is a lot longer than the rest of the electronics industry. Add in that everyone and their mom bought a new TV in the last 5 years and there is bound to be a slump until those TVs start to wear out.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Chef_Boyardee[/nom]Egad. She has one on her hand too.[/citation]
I always found it interesting how those companies will brand their girls with temp tattoos of their brand since they know where half the people will be looking.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Still rocking 480P on my old tube 'hd' TV...[/citation]
480P is not considered HD. It is Enhanced Definition. HD is 720P, 1080i, or 1080P.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
You guys get to buy 40-inch LED TVs for $400??? I mean, if the article is about LED TVs at all...we get 32-inch LEDs that aren't even full HD for $600+... :(

[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]So wait, this article keeps going on about LED TV's, so is Black Friday going to offer 42" LED TV's for less than $400 or LCD TV's for that price? Just trying to clarify since LED kind of came out of no where in the article.[/citation]
Typical Wolfgang. His titles usually come from the last line or two. Thank god there was no mention about Apple monitors. Oh wait, i'm sure they don't sell it for anything less than $1000...

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

She can caress anything she wants - and it won' t be creepy.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Still rocking 480P on my old tube 'hd' TV in the living room. Anything demanding is watched on the computer, which has a decent 27" at 3-4' away which is plenty big screen for my wife and I. I'm debating about either a 1080p projector for a true big screen experience, or waiting for 4K or 8K screens to come out in a few years.[/citation]
Out of curiosity, are you driving your model T still because you are waiting for flying cars? :)

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]So wait, this article keeps going on about LED TV's, so is Black Friday going to offer 42" LED TV's for less than $400 or LCD TV's for that price? Just trying to clarify since LED kind of came out of no where in the article.[/citation]
I have been on the hunt for a good 40-42 incher and the best I found was a 60hz LCD @$199 and a 120hz LED for $549 on Black Friday. There may be some good prices from online retailers such as Newegg or Amazon or the prices could keep dropping.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
My 37" LG is sadly too small for the viewing distance in my living room, but I'm not going to buy another TV in the near future.

If I upgrade, I'm going to do it properly and go for a projector. They are still expensive, but a lot cheaper than a 90" TV would be.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Is the weak demand really due to the economy, or the fact that everybody and their brother already has a flat panel TV?

Of course panels fail and some people wait to upgrade / can't afford it. But I wonder when do we shift the blame from the economy to market saturation. Oh well I suppose it's not truly saturated until I have a 65 in the living room, a 24 in the kitchen and a 42 in the bedroom...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
"LED" TV's still use LCD panels. LED is simply the type of backlighting the TV uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.