firstrig

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I want to do an A/B test to ascertain the best option that suits my needs. Let's get the constant factors established. The source will always be 720p content, the viewing distance will always be 12 feet. In such a scenario, which TV will serve me well? a 480p Plasma (42 inch) or a 720p LED (26 inch)?

The reason I ask is because the 'optimal viewing distance' charts suggest that beyond 10 feet, 720p content becomes obsolete in its contribution to picture clarity. In other words, I will have to be within that range for the 720p TV/content to have any positive effect. With that in mind, am I better off buying a 42 (480p) inch Plasma instead?

Solution

I have a 50 inch Plasma television (PDP) and my parents have a 60 inch LED LCD television...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

I have a 50 inch Plasma television (PDP) and my parents have a 60 inch LED LCD television.

Plasma televisions have by far the best colour reproduction, clarity, and contrast. If image quality is what you desire and you have a warm coloured room, get your hands on a PDP while there are still a few around. Most manufacturers are abandoning them because they're perceived as power hungry (they are) and more prone to failures than LCDs (which is true on older models, I'm not sure how they stack up now). Since they're end-of-life, they're dirt cheap right now.

LED LCDs consume far less power but suffer from lightbleed and poorer colour reproduction. Contrast is much better now than it used to be, but it's still nothing compared to a good PDP.

If given the choice between the two I'd go with a PDP again in a heartbeat, but this time around I'd grab one with 3D capabilities.

Solution