42" TV or a Projector for Home Theatre/Console gaming?

Xyven

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Heya guys,

I'm wondering which one to purchase, for Home Theatre/Console gaming room (I currently have xbox one).

I've been looking at projectors and TV's, and those are my picks:

TV: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL42W829-42-inch-WIdescreen-Freeview/dp/B00IJ5RWOK

Projector: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-W1070-Lumens-Entertainment-Projector/dp/B009SJB6F2
-OR-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-EH-TW5200-Cinema-Gaming-Projector/dp/B00ET0DWDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407249997&sr=8-1&keywords=epson+3020

Any comments about it? Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks, guys! You're the best :p

Solution
If you're not able to make the room totally dark, then the black levels and sharpness of the Epson may be wasted. I've used a BenQ projector before (MP610/~4 years) and it worked well enough for me. Personally, I'd still recommend the Epson and a set of blackout curtains, but that's because I'm spoiled. In truth, the BenQ W1070 will likely be a very nice purchase for you for the next six to eight years. If this is your first projector purchase, I think you'll be very happy, but as you get more and more in tune with a true Home Theater, your next purchase will likely be of a much higher quality.

-Wolf sends
What are the dimensions of the room you intend to place your TV/projector in? What is the available throw distance (distance between the projector lens and the screen/wall)? Are you able to control the lighting in the room? These are some of the questions you need to answer before looking into a projector purchase.

-Wolf sends

Xyven

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

My room dimensions are:

5.25meters X 3.40 meters

Control light in the room:
Yes. I can make it dark, but there still might be small ambient light.

Throw Distance:
Any, I plan to possibly hang it on the ceiling, and my whole ceiling is empty, so I can basically put it anywhere.

Xyven

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Whats wrong with benq? :p Its cheaper and better IMO

If you're not able to make the room totally dark, then the black levels and sharpness of the Epson may be wasted. I've used a BenQ projector before (MP610/~4 years) and it worked well enough for me. Personally, I'd still recommend the Epson and a set of blackout curtains, but that's because I'm spoiled. In truth, the BenQ W1070 will likely be a very nice purchase for you for the next six to eight years. If this is your first projector purchase, I think you'll be very happy, but as you get more and more in tune with a true Home Theater, your next purchase will likely be of a much higher quality.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Xyven

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013

Thanks. I ended up purchasing the benq (as I need it for console gaming, it is better in other aspects such as colour quality (as I've heard), and black levels arent that important to me. Now I need to choose the screen for it (I want something like 110"), any suggestions? :p

Depends on how much effort and money you want to put into it. There are a lot of DIY screen ideas out there that can give you a semi-permanent solution. Otherwise, a manual pull down screen from Elite Screens (like the one I have) or similar is another lower cost solution.

-Wolf sends

Sep 3, 2014
I suggest to go with Projectors. Suppose you plan to buy 100" LED TV then at lower the cost you will get Smart LED Projector with 4k video and gaming console support. These projectors palm size, easy to carry and will not need lamp change for a long,long time, in other words you will never get chance to change the lamp. You can take this pro to your friends place and enjoy games together.

Check Luxcine brand, they have some amazing smart LED projectors with support for high definition gaming, active 3D, Check them on Google, you tube and ebay.

tesewinou

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
you can orient in the long direction you can easily use a 100-110" screen.
2QF7mT