4k looks bad and lags where it shouldn't

Marius_21

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hi everyone, I recently bought a 4k uhd hdr Samsung tv, downloaded my first 4k movie (was about 58gb) but the movie quality through my tv (with usb) looks bad, and when I play through my pc it still looks bad and playing through vlc it struggles to play and lags alot, windows media player works fine (keep in mind quality still looks bad on both players) but now gives me a green screen filter over the movie, my pc can run on 4k so I dont know what is going on, the movie name and fromat, copied as displayed - Suicide Squad 2016 Theatrical Cut 2160p 4K UHD 10bit HDR BluRay 7 1 x265 HEVC

What can I do to fix this

Computer setup:
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard,
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X,
Coolmaster 750w PSU,
24GB Ram Corsair,
DELL 24" Monitor SE2416H
TV Samsung mu7000 55"

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
possible codec issue? if vlc struggles but media player works, and both have poor quality.
update codecs

was this a legit download? possible encoding issue with rip.

though a 1070 can support 4k, i was under the impression that it wouldnt run well, and is more suited to 1440, do you know anyone else that uses a 1070 in 4k ?
a driver update maybe required.

how much RAM does your computer have? i know some people say files can be streamed straight from your hdd, but imo it always passes through your ram. you have enough free RAM to allow the throughput the movie requires? has closing unnecc. programs helped at all?

4k requires 35-45Mbps generally, usb2 supports upto 60Mbps but normally fails to deliver past 30Mbps in many cases.
check your usb driver/card/cable can deliver at least 50Mbps.

Marius_21

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I am running on 24Gb ram (2400mhz) and ive also copied the movie on to my hdd not on my sdd because i know the hdd speed is more than enough speed to handel the load needed.

i can try updating the codec, but where do i go to do that?
The files are legit. its just very huge.