5.1 or 7.1 Channel Audio for Gaming

Minymigitover9000

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
I have been looking around for speakers and headsets now for gaming and I have come across an issue that needs to be addressed. 7.1 channels or 5.1 channel, I have a speaker set(Creative inspire T6300 gaming edition 5.1 channels) and headset(razer Tiamat 7.1). The they both involve a lot of chords and cables that I need to get a sound card for it. But the main issue is which should be better off for gaming and should I switch. Or are they equivalent and I will just plug in the speakers to the sound card? Thanks you guys for quick answers in the past. :)

Solution

in my experience? nope. not until game makers actually utilize surround sound in a way that affects your gaming experience. Mass Effect 3 was the closest to actually using surround sound in a way that matters, but it focused the center of the surround sound on the 3rd person camera. which makes sense to a point... but when navigating commander shepherd from 6-8 feet behind and above like the camera was located, it actually made it pretty disorienting at times.

Other FPS try to use it, but in my experience it's just "simulated" surround sound... a 2 channel output that inaccurately would create an almost surround like experience but often too...

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
In my experience sound systems are only as good as the speakers/headphones. I have an elite 5.1 channel speaker/receiver system connected via optical port (optical is limited to 5.1) to my PC which has very good onboard sound.

Because of the high end speakers it is often remarked upon by everyone who hears it that it might be the best sound system they've heard. Meanwhile i've heard 7.1 setups that sound worse then a simple 2.1 setup i was using in college 10 years ago... because again... the speakers were trash.

Make sure your output is high quality. you'll be happy with any results that follow from that point. (BTW: i've never once thought "i wish i had a 7.1 system" when playing a video game. 95% of games DON'T utilize surround sound in any way that counts. And the ones who do rarely use it in a way that enriches the playing experience.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

in my experience? nope. not until game makers actually utilize surround sound in a way that affects your gaming experience. Mass Effect 3 was the closest to actually using surround sound in a way that matters, but it focused the center of the surround sound on the 3rd person camera. which makes sense to a point... but when navigating commander shepherd from 6-8 feet behind and above like the camera was located, it actually made it pretty disorienting at times.

Other FPS try to use it, but in my experience it's just "simulated" surround sound... a 2 channel output that inaccurately would create an almost surround like experience but often too inaccurate to be of any actual use... or too calibrated to give your ears a good idea of where the noise was coming from. Of the games which use surround sound many use it well in musical scores and cinematic scenes then complete drop the ball in actual game play.

Solution

Minymigitover9000

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

so I guess no surround sound speaker, eh