Solved! 5.1 PC Audio using 2 sets of speakers?

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hi,

So long story short, I recently bought the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX sound card due to some onboard audio issues. I am using the Bose Companion 3 series II from 2010 that I got. Since I only use it for PC stereo it was working fine for me (I did learn a lot about Klipsch HT system from this forum 3 years ago and set up already in my master bedroom for Netflix and Movies so I understand the quality difference). Anyway back to my main question, since I got a 5.1 card, I am wondering if the following would work or worth a try.

1. Keep my Bose Companion 3 for the front L/R and plug in my old Creative Inspire 5.1 on just C/Rear (L/R) =5.1/5.2?
  2. Sell my Bose on eBay for about 100 or less and get the Logitech Z506 (around $70) for front L/R, C/Sub and plug in my old Creative Inspire 5.1 on just Rear (L/R) =5.1/5.2?
  3. Not worth the trouble Keep my 2.1 setup
I mainly use my PC in my home office for work, but occasionally I do gaming (Division 2, Battlefield V, etc....) which is why I think 5.1 can make sense? I am not planning to spend too much money on this since I got a full Klipsch HT system already when I do watch movies. Thanks for your inputs

Last edited:
Solution
Since option 1 is just a matter of connecting speakers you already have it's worth a try.
Mixing front speakers is usually not the best way to go (at least for HT). Try it with the Bose in the rear too.
It will tell you if 5.1 is worth the trouble at all and whether matching the front speakers is important for gaming.
Since option 1 is just a matter of connecting speakers you already have it's worth a try.
Mixing front speakers is usually not the best way to go (at least for HT). Try it with the Bose in the rear too.
It will tell you if 5.1 is worth the trouble at all and whether matching the front speakers is important for gaming.

Last edited:
Solution

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
ok thanks, just to be sure isn't the front L/R or C still the main speakers?

swzeng

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
ok, see your point now, been testing this for couple days. The surround sounds works, but I have to use db app to adjust the sound level.....kinda hassle. OK, just curious, so the Creative Labs Inspire 5200 5.1 that I got was from 2004. Say if I plug my Bose Companion 3 two speakers to the FL/FR channel on my creative is that bad idea?

If not, anything pc 5.1 system around 200 is worth a look?

FYI- I am kinda shocked that my Bose companion 3 is still selling around 150 on eBay, I got an offer last night for 130, just nuts after so many years.