5.1 Set up not working

Chala

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Can someone help, I just have bought Altec Lansing VS3251's they are a 5.1 sound system. I was told my sound card supports this system, I have Sound Blaster Audigy which claims to support up 7.1 systems. I can only hear sound from five satellite speakers with no sub woofer, or from the front left and front right along with subwoofer only. I cannot get all the speakers working at once. I have the jacks installed properly. I had updated the drivers just last month. I am running Windows XP in a desk top, Service Pack 3. One gig of ram 3.2 gig processor. I did the creative speaker test all speakers are working properly, can somebody please help?

Chala

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
What kind of Audigy do you have and how did you wire it?

Another thing, what are you playing it with? you need to make sure that your source have to be digital EX or DTS ES coded. or atleast matrixed.

read more here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Theater_System

I have Sound Blaster AudigySE i am playing MP-3'S CD's etc, they are color coded a green, black and yellow jack Green jack Line Out 1 jack (_1)...Black jack Line Out 2 jack (_2)...Yellow jack Line Out 3 jack (_3)

Interesting, the system worked fine when plugged into onboard soundcard. What does this mean? I don't have right drivers installed? The onboard is not what i want to use, what should i do?

Chala

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I finally resolved the issue. It was something no documentation i seen covered, however very simple. It was in creatives speaker settings in the tab "Bass Management" a check must be in "Bass Redirection" i never knew this would prevent my sub woofer from working. If you try hard enough much can be solved thanks again for all of your time!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Usually, when you install audio driver and applications you'll get ask if you want 2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 then spdif which should set the bass active. However some multi speakers have defferent center/sub arrangement on the plug which sometimes reverse the connection.

But it's good that you found the solution because that would be the last thing I would check. :)

Chala

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Usually, when you install audio driver and applications you'll get ask if you want 2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 then spdif which should set the bass active. However some multi speakers have defferent center/sub arrangement on the plug which sometimes reverse the connection.

But it's good that you found the solution because that would be the last thing I would check. :)

Thanks for your imput Rexter!