5.1 set up

mictian1980

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have a 47 inch LG LCD HDTV and I have a dish network box and that is how I get my TV. The issue I have now is that I went and picked up a 5.1 RCA DVD Dolby surround sound system and I can't get my 5.1 speakers to work when I am watching tv. The surround sound only works on my RCA DVD player. I want to be able to watch my dish network in 5.1 do I need more cables or is there a wiring diagram that I can reference on the internet that shows me how I should have my dish network box hooked up in correlation to my DVD surround sounds system?

SmurfOnABoat

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
The particular channel or show you are watching on Dish must be broadcast in 5.1 for you to be able to achieve 5.1 surround. Most of the HD stations will automatically have digital surround with it, but normal stations usually do not broadcast in surround sound, just stereo. Usually you can see it using the info button, it will give you the HD logo for HD video/picture, and 5.1 letting you know that the sound is being broadcast in surround. (or you will get a DD logo for dolby digital) very rarely will you ever see DTS on cable/dish.