5.1 simulated sound from 2.1 digital optical output

DeanDobkin

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
I have a Samsung TV which outputs 2.1 sound, and a Verizon Cable Box which outputs 5.1 sound. I have a Samsung Home Theater System with ONE digital optical input, which of course I use for the Verizon. I'd like to get simulated 5.1 from the TV or the Apple TV that connects to the TV by HDMI. Is it possible?

Solution
I have this problem, any uncompressed 2 channel audio signal can not be processed by my pioneer receiver into dolby pro-logic. I have to change the output of the device to a compressed format. So have a look at your digital output settings and change them.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
I have this problem, any uncompressed 2 channel audio signal can not be processed by my pioneer receiver into dolby pro-logic. I have to change the output of the device to a compressed format. So have a look at your digital output settings and change them.

Solution

DeanDobkin

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

DeanDobkin

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Thanks much. I think I'm out of luck. The Samsung TV doesn't give me the option for a compressed format. I guess it might if I were going to take it off the wall and piddle around with some of the analog outputs, but that's a BIG job. The Samsung Home Theater was easy to set up and gives good quality (particularly for the price) but again, it will only output what it wants to output, so if it gets 2.1 input, it outputs 2.1 input, etc. I appreciate your time.

jeff_35

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I got frustrated and after reading a bunch of options, i decided to by a sound blaster card. it has Dolby optical out and after some setup it puts out 5.1 . interesting thing; super bowel, optical from Samsung tv to onkyo receiver showed dolby 5.1 from the tv.. i think almost everything , is 2 channel, with maybe with some encoded surround info
most things i read: the argument how pcm is better then dolby. they are talking about no's, not how the speakers preform.
forget realtek chips, they do not encode or decode Dolby, get a sound blaster z or an asus..
Theaters run Dolby, why should you settle for less

DeanDobkin

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

DeanDobkin

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Thanks very much for a clear and well-considered answer. I pretty much figure that so long as I have anything near the set-up that I have, there's not much more to be done. I have a Samsung TV and a Samsung Home Theater. For most sound, either it comes either from the "smart Samsung H-T System" or the Verizon Cable Box, and of course, both give 5.1 (the H-T is actually 7.1). But there doesn't seem to be an easy answer unless I want to change the Home Theater, and while I know the H-T is not in the same league as a component system, it's still very good; good enough for my living room. So for some things I will live with 2.1. I like TV, and I love the effects when something sounds like it's coming from behind you on the right or left, particularly when it moves, but still - it's only TV, only entertainment, and while it's certainly interesting for me and enjoyable for me, it's not going to take over my life. Many years ago - circa 2003 - I bought a component system (I had money then, it was before divorce and alimony), and the Denon receiver could create simulated 5.1 sound, which - to my ears - was really extraordinarily good. I thought that it's been 13 years, surely those electronics should be in something cheaper and easier than a high end receiver, but I'm wrong again. And I'm still paying alimony.....

jeff_35

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
daytonaudio 6 1/2 speakers go for 60 something a pair. i bought a onkyo receiver at pawn shop used for 75. at 100w per, 2 optical , no hdmi. my new onkyo isnt as good so i threw in the bedroom, HDMI, Bluetooth and all. it doesn't cost a lot to sound good.
I have klipsch 20 series and i love them. What ever you do is make sure all the speakers are match.