5.1 Surround from 3.5mm stereo jack?

Jim_and_Evil

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
I have a Harman/Kardon AVR 1565 5.1 receiver, and an HP Pavilion s5610f (I resurrected from a bloodhound) that can output true 5.1 from its ALC662-VC1 integrated audio. It does not however, have output for Coaxial and Optical. And I heard that even if any unit ala Blu-ray, DVD player, or Game Console can output 5.1, it only sends the signals through the former formats. My laptop does not have 5.1 support, and while my receiver has logic 7 processing to 5 channel surround, hearing DVDs with 5.1 through the LT lacks the impact as it sounds as if I selected the 2.0 stereo track and "forced" it to 5.1.

So does that mean I would only get 2.0 from the audio jack on the back of the PC even if it natively supports 5.1?

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Three into one? You can't, otherwise I would have lied in my first post.

USB Sound cards? yes you can. Not using your onboard though, you'll need a new soundcard.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Surround-System/dp/B0017QQQAE

Jim_and_Evil

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
I realized this was posted here accidently instead of the home audio section. If this is an issue, a mod can move it to the correct spot. Sorry about that!

Jim_and_Evil

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks for the reply!

So if it doesn't have coaxial and optical and I need three separate mini-jacks, how would I get those three into the single jack in my receiver? Also, since the audio is integrated, would I be able to get 5.1 sound from a USB 2.0 connector (since its digital) that converts it to coax or optical? (if such a thing exists)

Sorry this got in the wrong spot, what happened was I was in the home audio section and tried to post my question, then when I hit submit the whole page froze up. IE said there was a problem with the page and had to refresh. after refreshing, I relized it was not in the correct spot so I looked and it somehow got in the home theater section. IDK how it happened, but if its a problem it can be deleted and reposted again.

Alec Mowat

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

Three into one? You can't, otherwise I would have lied in my first post.

USB Sound cards? yes you can. Not using your onboard though, you'll need a new soundcard.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Blaster-Surround-System/dp/B0017QQQAE

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
THEBDC Streaming Video & TVs 7
kris192 Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 0
M Streaming Video & TVs 5
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
B Streaming Video & TVs 0
ggg_123 Streaming Video & TVs 4
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
BiggameDave49 Streaming Video & TVs 2