5.1 surround sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtl2901

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi everyone,

Quick question, if I were to purchase a 5.1 surround sound speaker system designed for a home theater for use with a dvd or blu-ray player, can I use the speakers on my pc and get 5.1 surround sound? Are they interchangeable from dvd/bluray to a pc or would I just need a simple converter or would I need a 5.1 surround sound system that is designed for a pc??? Please advise. Thanks so much.

Solution
To answer your question...yes!

If by "Home Theater" you mean a receiver then you will have to use the SPDIF connection. It can come in a few forms: Optical cables known as Toslink or regular Coaxial cables or HDMI (which can carry audio or video).

As far as I know, the sound card on your motherboard does not matter if using a digital connection to receiver because SPDIF bypasses this by sending the raw signal to your receiver which has its own SoundCard (also known as a pre-amplifier) and does its own processing.

If your receiver supports 5.1
If your source support 5.1
and if your motherboard has one of those three digital connections

Then you're set for 5.1!

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. If your source from that PC is in 5.1 yes if stereo then there are ways to let it play in all 5 sats +sub (but this are not discrete 6 channels)
2. Even early/dated receivers have select able inputs and current ones a HDMI in/out
3. Related : a lot of peeps buy 5.1 and place every sat in front of them - if u do not have the room to properly mount them in position you'd be better off with a quality 2.1 :p

Broo

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
If you have only 2 speakers connected to your computer, then you can't listen in 5.1 surround sound.

If you have a 5.1 system connected to your computer, and the source media supports 5.1 channel audio, surround sound will function correctly. So long as your sound card/on-board audio supports it.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
To answer your question...yes!

If by "Home Theater" you mean a receiver then you will have to use the SPDIF connection. It can come in a few forms: Optical cables known as Toslink or regular Coaxial cables or HDMI (which can carry audio or video).

As far as I know, the sound card on your motherboard does not matter if using a digital connection to receiver because SPDIF bypasses this by sending the raw signal to your receiver which has its own SoundCard (also known as a pre-amplifier) and does its own processing.

If your receiver supports 5.1
If your source support 5.1
and if your motherboard has one of those three digital connections

Then you're set for 5.1!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.