5.1 surround vs Soundbar?

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I just bought a Pioneer 5.1 surround system from Walmart for like $269. I want to return it, as it seems to have an issue with sound coming out of the speakers. But now I'm wondering if I should get an Onkyo S-3400 Htib or a nice soundbar? Right now I live in a town home, but most of the sound will be in the basement.

I say sound bar simply because I didn't realize the back (surround) speakers don't really produce a lot of sound *at least in my case* and most of the sound comes from the front speakers. I'm wondering if soundbars are worth it or should I just go head and get the Onkyo. Please help! :eek:

The surround speakers only produce sounds when there is sound in the source that comes from the rear (helicopter circling around, a bad guy running up from behind you, etc...), so yes, most of the sound comes from the front speakers.

A soundbar would do a decent job of faking the surround info by delaying rear sounds and bouncing sound waves across the rooms, but it's not as good as a true rear speaker setup. I have a low cost Vizio sound bar I picked up in a trade (they are about $100 new without a sub) and I find the sound is very nice from it. You should be able to do an A/B comparison in the store to find something you like, may even save yourself a few $100.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

The only problem is that......most stores that I've gone too don't have the soundbars set up.

I've only heard one soundbar and it's pretty good.

If a 5.1 surround is the same price as the soundbar ($59 more), do you think there is a massive sound difference?

Speakers are very dependent on how you set them up and to the listener. For example, I do not like at all how BOSE speakers sound (aside from their earbuds), but many love them.

I am very happy with my cheap Vizio sound bar, I doubt that a full surround setup for 100-150 would sound any better. If you go up to 200-300, you may get better sounding speakers that sound better than just a soundbar, but that requires actually trying them out.

It's a personal call though, like picking a mouse or keyboard, there is no single "best" pick for everyone.

linkgx1

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Thanks. I went ahead and purchased the Onkyo-S3400. The main reason is that I don't want to regret it like two months later like I usually do. :lol: It should arrive tomorrow....but UPS may have a hard time due to the snow storm we had...*sigh*. But at least the drivers will be safe. :eek: