5 Reasons Why You Should Not Buy The iPad 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Bit harsh with the Retina display comments.
For a 10" device its still pretty good.
Sure you may hold the device closer, but its got the same pixel density as a 17" MBP @ 1920x1200. Even the brilliant 27" iMac @ 2560x1440 has less pixels per inch.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Apple has gotten into having minor hardware updates that aren't so revolutionary anymore. They seem like they are just good enough to make the old device seem old, and make the Apple-consuming populace want to buy the new one. I will wait until Android tablets mature (just like I have done for phones), and I think it will be worth the wait since I love my Droid 2.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Reason #10, why purchase the latest trend setting technology from apple now when you can wait 6-12 months for some other company to come out with a lackluster copycat at a more expensive price, less features, and a buggy and laggy OS just to snub steve jobs.

rquick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
good points mrmez, but I think you are missing a very good reason 10 - no umbrella. We deserve to have the FREEDOM to CHOOSE to use our tablets in the rain, but the evil one clearly does not want us to have that FREEDOM or he would include an umbrella with the gramophone and the laser and a floppy disk and command prompt and every single other thing that each and every single tech writer thinks might possibly be included in any tablet coming in the next three years. We want all of it now, right this very minute NOW! Retina display - NOW! Never mind the simple fact that the 10" retina display would raise the price by $1000 or more, we want it NOW! Well, I guess I wouldn't buy it, but I want the CHOICE. Its un-American not to give me the choice to say no.

Clearly there are so many good reasons not to buy the new iPad, almost countless really, we are fortunate that the newest Android tablet (it will be FREE I hear in honor of FREEDOM) will include every single possible feature, option, gadget and gizmo ever conceived or imagined by FREE thinking buyers everywhere, and they are all TOTALLY FREE. Even the ones that don't actually exist yet - still FREE. Even the ones so old no one will actually use them, still FREE. Even Flash, oh wait - Honeycomb doesn't play Flash yet, so what! - still FREE. So why buy a useless iPad 2 that comes with nothing FREE at all? Not even the FREEDOM to choose FREEDOM. That evil Jobs is responsible for all of it, I tell you. What's that, the closest Android competitor to the iPad costs hundreds more? But its still FREE! So choose the FREEDOM to pay more for less, because the iPad 2 doesn't have everything and its not FREE!

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]why wasn't this proof read there is a ton of grammar errors!!![/citation]

Fail.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure that the majority of Toms readers will have already made up their minds, these articles aren't particularly necessary. Also, couldn't you have amalgamated the two articles into one article about reasons for/against the iPad 2 in general?

For the record i have the Xoom on Pre-Order but i have nothing against anyone who wishes to buy the iPad 2, it's a solid device that is much improved over the last one. I don't normally garner much respect for Apple's products, but the iPad 2 looks very nice overall.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
" In many ways, it is just a minor upgrade over the original iPad and in its basic feature set, the new iPad is, for its primary purpose of web browsing, just as good as the new one."

Of course the new iPad is as good as the new one... duhhh...

the new Toms is also as good as the new toms.. but the new Toms is no where as good as the Toms I used to read a few years ago.. the old Toms showed more respect to it's readers by proof reading the article's it posted. The new toms doesn't take it's work seriously anymore.. pitty. I am sure I am not the only one losing respect for Toms..

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
So the iPad 2 is really just an iPad 1 with slightly faster hardware? Really they hyped this thing up like it would have all these cool new shinys. Ohh well the iLife faithful will buy it no matter what, they could of taken a stock iPad 1 put a new sticker on it called it iPad 2 and those people would still buy it and claim it was the baby jesus reborn.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
1.buying online digital stuff is destroying your LOCAL ECONOMY
2.these devices turn you into couch potatoes
3.sitting and using these for long makes you anti-social
4.your phone company got you by the balls and they got your wallet
5.you need to walk and exercise.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
One more reason: No user-replaceable battery.

Until it adds Flash (obsolete or not, it is still common), USB, SD/CF memory reader, and a user-replaceable battery, the iPad is not for me, no matter how otherwise nice it is.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
No USB, No SD

That is one of the first things I noticed when I picked up an iPad for the first time... So basically you'd have to download everything you want on your iPad....

LAME. Plus there are too many apps I would want to run that are only made for windows.

zak_the_great

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I also need desperately a Printer port and Serial port. Why is Motorola denying me these features.. I want freedom.

[citation][nom]rquick[/nom]good points mrmez, but I think you are missing a very good reason 10 - no umbrella. We deserve to have the FREEDOM to CHOOSE to use our tablets in the rain, but the evil one clearly does not want us to have that FREEDOM or he would include an umbrella with the gramophone and the laser and a floppy disk and command prompt and every single other thing that each and every single tech writer thinks might possibly be included in any tablet coming in the next three years. We want all of it now, right this very minute NOW! Retina display - NOW! Never mind the simple fact that the 10" retina display would raise the price by $1000 or more, we want it NOW! Well, I guess I wouldn't buy it, but I want the CHOICE. Its un-American not to give me the choice to say no. Clearly there are so many good reasons not to buy the new iPad, almost countless really, we are fortunate that the newest Android tablet (it will be FREE I hear in honor of FREEDOM) will include every single possible feature, option, gadget and gizmo ever conceived or imagined by FREE thinking buyers everywhere, and they are all TOTALLY FREE. Even the ones that don't actually exist yet - still FREE. Even the ones so old no one will actually use them, still FREE. Even Flash, oh wait - Honeycomb doesn't play Flash yet, so what! - still FREE. So why buy a useless iPad 2 that comes with nothing FREE at all? Not even the FREEDOM to choose FREEDOM. That evil Jobs is responsible for all of it, I tell you. What's that, the closest Android competitor to the iPad costs hundreds more? But its still FREE! So choose the FREEDOM to pay more for less, because the iPad 2 doesn't have everything and its not FREE![/citation]

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Living without flash and having to transfer files over a network is a small price to pay for tons of apps purpose written for the iPad[/citation]
Since when was it an either/or scenario other than when Jobs told evryone so?
I have a radical idea
It just might work
Huge dedicated appstore ... AND ... Flash support

Oh hang on, all those crappy games you have to buy on the App Store would have to compete directly with all the free games on sites like Candystand and Steve Jobs just won't stand for that.

Some would argue that one reason why there are fewer Apps for Android is because they are not the sole provider of content for the tablet and you are free to get you stuff wherever the hell you want, which includes not having thousands of frivilous and pointless 2D games that are no better than Tower Defense.

My $0.02

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
[citation][nom]musing[/nom]reason 9: it does not have a Friggin lazer. Again the evil despot that Steve Jobs is, has no right to dictate that we dont need a Lazer.. Wait untill Tablet convetible Netbooks from Asus running window 7 and Norton Antivirus starts shipping with a standard 10 Megawatt class Lazer all within $250. Who wants to pay Crapple Tax, when one can soon get a 10 Mega watt lazer in a net book with a USB port with half the price of an iPad.[/citation]

YES! We definitely NEED LAZERS (Not just your crappy run of the mill 'lasers' but rather, ultra cool 'LAZERS') in every last cell phone, computer, laptop, ipad, MP3 player and imagine how awesome a flash a LAZER would be on your digital camera!

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm not an Apple fan, but if it has Apple on it, people will buy because they're cocky and rich and think that it's the best thing since sliced bread, but on the other hand, it really has no competition except for the XOOM which is way overpriced. XOOM vs iPad2.....I'd get the iPad2. All the apps run smooth on the iPad. The iPhone version of Angry Birds runs great and looks great on the iPad.

I'm an Android guy and I would love to see something like Applanet on the iPad.

G

"No USB, no SD, Flash.... Which are respectively finished, useless, and sub-par technologies."

...spoken from an Apple Fanboy all day long! USB won't be dead for SEVERAL years to come. SD would give the owner a way to upgrade memory instead of buying the next model up. Apple won't be giving that level of flexibility to users for sure and, instead, charge $100+ for a $3 memory chip. Flash may be sub-par, but will be around for a lot of users for several years to come.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Haters may STFU and whine some where else! I'll buy good and smart products irrespective of the companies because am the Customer and I exercise my choice.

BTW, what product/website isn't exactly the flawless? Is Tom flawless? The website sucks while loading in my FF browser so why don't you guys improve it instead of preaching others?

Thanks.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
[citation][nom]gorehound[/nom]1.buying online digital stuff is destroying your LOCAL ECONOMY2.these devices turn you into couch potatoes3.sitting and using these for long makes you anti-social4.your phone company got you by the balls and they got your wallet5.you need to walk and exercise.[/citation]

That was an awesome break down. Would give you 10 thumbs up if Tom's would let me. I at least put one.

Status
Not open for further replies.