~$50 Over-Ear Headphones?

Mayclorian

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
With a bit more detail than the usual question, at least I think.

It's time to replace my venerable JVC HA-RX700s, and I'm looking for similar suggestions in the $50 or under range. I've heard good things about the Superlux HD-681 EVO, as well as the Samson SR850, which might actually be the same headphone? I'm not entirely sure. I've also seen high praise for the Panasonic RP-HTX7. The Sennheiser HD 419 is also in my price range (it tempts me with the fuzzy earpads).

I really like the HA-RX700s, so what other options would give me similar wearing comfort and equal-or-better sound? I have an eclectic music collection and do some gaming. Whatever I buy will be driven by an ASUS Xonar D1 sound card, which I assume will have no problems with anything in this price bracket. I don't need them to be portable, either, so bring the chunkiest set you can think of if it's comfortable and has good sound.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Yes the HTF600-S. Using them right now and listening to ENM on youtube while I browse the forums. I haven't listened to the Sennheisers you mentioned, but I have listened to the 201, HARX700, and the Superlux. Personally it would be a draw between the Superlux and Panasonics for me. The highs and lows sound slightly better on the Superlux, but the Panasonic's mids are really nice. I would say they could compare to headphones twice their price.

I also have owned a pair of ATH M50s which I consider a step above the headphones in this price range. I found a pair pretty cheap on amazon for $85 which was a steal. They're sold now as I'm looking to upgrade to something higher end such as Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pros.
Aug 19, 2014
A'right, I'm going to suggest a bit of a no name brand, But check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191406654305

40mm Neodynium driver, plays 20 hz - 20khz, I personally own a pair that's with me right now, and they have fantastic audio. (Maybe not "AMAZING" but for $18, it's a steal. At the $60 I got em for, they were still arguably worth it)

Lemme know if you have any thoughts or questions.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Those are all great choices. My friend has the Superlux and for the price it's really good. He listens mainly to electronica. It is a semi open pair of cans and it does leak sound a lot. If you don't want your music to leak and bother others around you, look into a closed pair of headphones.

I would check out the sound signature of each headphone on headfi and try to make your decision from there since they will be hard to find at any major electronics retailer.

I have a pair of Panasonic RP HTF 600 which I got for around $35. I love them. The only thing is that the build quality is fairly poor, but what can you expect for $30? The sound quality on the other hand is fantastic. I also have quite a wide taste in music and listen to almost everything except western country.

They work great for gaming and have solid bass response despite it being a semi open pair of headphones. They are very comfortable to wear. The cheap build quality has a positive side to it since they are lightweight and are good for long hours of use. Mine are still in perfect condition mainly because I took good care of them. I would definitely recommend them.

Mayclorian

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
RandomNameDestroyer: The cable length worries me. Whatever I get is going to be plugged into the back of a desktop on the floor, so I'm not sure that's long enough.

RazerZ: Are these also listed as the HTF600-S? Definitely like the look of those. I'm a sucker for enormous cans. Sound leakage is no issue at all. I managed to make these JVCs last seven years under heavy use, so I guess I can take care of those - if my cat isn't feeling too playful.

A couple more options I'd seen in my range were the HD 202-II, HD 203, HD 205-II... okay, there's a lot of Sennheiser stuff in my budget. I owned a pair of HD 201s and, while sounding pretty solid, were tight on my head if I wore them for too long. That leaves me a bit worried about the fit of the other Sennheisers.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Yes the HTF600-S. Using them right now and listening to ENM on youtube while I browse the forums. I haven't listened to the Sennheisers you mentioned, but I have listened to the 201, HARX700, and the Superlux. Personally it would be a draw between the Superlux and Panasonics for me. The highs and lows sound slightly better on the Superlux, but the Panasonic's mids are really nice. I would say they could compare to headphones twice their price.

I also have owned a pair of ATH M50s which I consider a step above the headphones in this price range. I found a pair pretty cheap on amazon for $85 which was a steal. They're sold now as I'm looking to upgrade to something higher end such as Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pros.

Solution
Aug 19, 2014

You're right, It probably wouldn't be very reasonable. But the audio cable is actually detachable, So you could swap it with any longer headphone cable (They're pretty cheap, if you don't have any extras). Best of luck.