$550 or less sports video editing pc

Whriley

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I have never built a pc. I need to create recruiting videos for my sons sports. And his friends... I don't want to spend hours dealing with crashing and rendering. Like my dell Inspiron 1750. Anyhow... Some say I need a gpu some say no. I hear ssd is faster, but no clue how big it needs to be. 1 game film is about 30 gigs. I need to trim them to the various 10-15 second clips. Combine them into a clip video and add music/remove fan voices... Add slides front and back for stats etc... Using power director 14. Will need OS too.
Help. I don't need a Ferrari, but don't want a tractor either. Something that will be faster than I am for at least A year then I can upgrade parts as my skills improve...
If not to be done for under $550' tell me min cost, so I can explain to wife...

Ethanh100

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
550+ and os isnt really enough to be getting a benefit over your current system, I would recommend spending more around 700-800. This build here will be much more powerful than what you currently are using. I included a decent gpu so you could use graphics acceleration in programs, and if you ever wanted to game this would be a good system for that. I also included a SSD which you will want your OS on, your editing software, and any clips that you are immediately using. Also 1tb of storage will be enough for a little bit, and later down the road you can just purchase another drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($37.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.71 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.33 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($85.70 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $752.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-25 10:18 EDT-0400

Whriley

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

k1114

Distinguished
Micro threading? If you mean hyperthreading then that would help but it's more about more performance regardless of the tech behind it.

The difference from gaming and video editing may not be so different depending on the budget. For the most part, you will see a gaming builds spend almost double on the gpu vs cpu and never need a top end cpu since an i5 is perfectly capable of maxing any game with an adequate gpu. While a gpu will help with preview window performance and possibly render times, cpu still plays a large role and you will see most software have a bigger jump from a quad to 6 core cpu than from a mid to high end gpu. Mission critical may dictate the use of workstation components and multi storage devices to separate scratch, working, storage, os and program files.

As far as performance, if I'm looking at the right specs, your laptop is an old core 2 duo. Even if you save money and look at used pcs to get under your $550 budget then you're still seeing more than double the performance increase with an older i5 and lower end gpu.

Whriley

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
Would this system be a good start?

alienware.
Processor: Intel Core 6th Generation i5-6400 Processor (Quad Core, up to 3.3GHz, 6M Cache, 65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
Slot load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB GDDR3

Whriley

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
Or how about this?
More ports, faster connections
10 USB ports, Bluetooth 4.0 and HDMI. Six USB 3.0 ports let you connect more of your devices, and can transfer data at speeds up to ten times faster than USB 2.0. Hook up HD displays and stream content to an HDTV using your HDMI port. 19-in-1 media card reader lets you upload photos, videos and more without wires. Sync Bluetooth devices and connect to the internet with a Dell Wireless-N 1703 card.

Operating System:
Windows 8.1

Processor & Memory:
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation I7-4790 (Quad Core HT, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB, w/ HD Graphics 4600)
16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4X4GB) Non-ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3

Drives:
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
DVD +/- RW Drive

Keyboard:
Dell Wired Multimedia Keyboard
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 and Bluetooth 3.0

IO Port:
Total of 10 USB ports, Bluetooth 4.0 and HDMI
1X HDMI, 1 X DVI

Whriley

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
So I guess what I have Learned is that I don't know that I want to spend a week building a PC. So I posted those above seeking advice if they would work for my application since they are near my range... Can anyone respond with if they will do what I need? If they seem too expensive then can Somone sell me better for less? I simply want to make good videos for college recruiting based on the mediocre (at best) film work I will do on my iPad and or whatever another parent shoots their kids games on...i need to get something pretty quick so I can start processing. The ideal world would be a laptop with the juice and a dock to use a bigger monitor when available... Or hook ups to run on a hotel tv when I travel... But a desktop will provide more bang for the buck... Come on guys... Please help me with some solid advice or point me where I can buy a working one that will do what I need and allow for some expansion as I improve...