65watt vs 75watt power adapter

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I want to know what kinda issues using a 65watt charger on a labtop that originally came with a 75watt charger would be if any. All the other numbers match up between the two power adapters. I did a little trolling on Google and seem to find mix reviews with nothing that is directly related to my question. As most people are trying to use a 65watt charger in place of a 90watt. Thanks guys in advance.

Solution
It depends on the laptop. But either way, the manufacturer intended for the laptop to use a 75w power supply, I'd stick to that.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
As long as the laptop does not draw more than 60 watts under load it will be fine, however the battery will charge 8% slower.

In our office we swap laptop power supplies like crazy. People come in all the time, "i lost my powe brick", or I forgot my plug at home..

We just find one that will plug in and send them on their way. We dont even match brand. Dell power supplies work with HPs, but Dell computers somehow know that the PSU you are using is not a dell, during post it tells you it does not like the power adapter and that it chooses not to charge the battery at all.

Any way our laptops are not used for more than 2 years so who knows, maybe this practice is terrible, but it never seems to catch up to us.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Yes, I totally agree with Brett.
Not only is it important to use the correct wattage, and voltage.etc.. But having a compatible charger is also important.
Yeah, there are a few 3rd party chargers you can get that will work, and are designed to work instead of spending a hundred bucks on an original charger. But the main thing is, don't use a charger that was not designed to work with your laptop.