Solved! 7.1 sound option no longer selectable in Windows 10 (only stereo)

donteatsoap7

Estimable
Dec 15, 2016
I have been dealing with this issue for two days now and I'm going insane.

My PC (i7 3370K, AMD XFX RX 580 8GB) is connected via HDMI to my Sony receiver (STR-DG720) for 7.1 surround sound and my LG 4K TV (43UM6910PUA) via HDMI for picture.

The reason why there are two HDMI connections is because the receiver is older and does not support HDR.

Now, this setup has worked flawlessly for a while now. However, starting yesterday I turned everything on to play a game, but the receiver was not playing surround sound. I also no longer had the option to change from stereo in the Windows settings.

I have uninstalled the GPU multiple times (at one point the top PCI x16 slot did not work, but the 8x did, where it's currently installed) and I reinstalled multiple drivers, including the BIOS.

Somehow, some way, things were fixed. I put the GPU back into the x16 slot and everything still worked, so I finally played a game with no issues.

I turned the everything off, went to bed and now everything is happening all over again. It's been 3 hours today, with endless searching and no avail.

I could try optical from the PC to the receiver, or even optical from the TV to the receiver (which works), but it would only be in Dolby Pro Logic II at that point.

I have no idea how to fix this and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I fixed it! I had a secondary monitor unplugged,but I reconnected it and everything works as intended!

I'm posting this on the event someone finds this on Google in the future.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Windows 10 has a mind of it's own! This may 'sound' like a dumb question, but have you also reinstalled your sound driver and software? I assume you're using the on-board audio. You didn't mention your MOBO make/ model, so go to the MFR's website and download the latest. Many sound issues can be solved by updating and/ or reinstalling. Another option is to install a high-quality sound card. They also typically include a dedicated headphone amp. If you choose that route, don't forget to disable the on-board audio in your BIOS settings.

donteatsoap7

Estimable
Dec 15, 2016
The MOBO is Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.1) and I've reinstalled the audio drivers once I updated the BIOS.

Also,I'm not using anything onboard. HDMI audio to the receiver and HDMI video to the TV, not mirroring the image.

*edit: Also, I'm no way interested in buying new parts, when this exact setup worked days ago.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
The MOBO is Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.1) and I've reinstalled the audio drivers once I updated the BIOS.

Also,I'm not using anything onboard. HDMI audio to the receiver and HDMI video to the TV, not mirroring the image.

*edit: Also, I'm no way interested in buying new parts, when this exact setup worked days ago.

Thanks.
Now I'm confused. You stated you're not using "anything onboard" which includes the onboard VIA audio chipset. If you're not using onboard audio and you don't have an aftermarket sound card, how were you able to update the audio driver? Again, if you aren't using the onboard audio, did you disable it in the BIOS? I'm blaming WIN10, but the way it seems like you have your rig set up, WITHOUT ANY AUDIO is a bit odd, in my opinion. On page 20 of your manual, you can see the HDMI outputs on the I/O panel graphic. So if you're plugged into this for audio, you ARE using an onboard device: the VIA audio chipset. If plugged into the vid card, have you disabled the VIA audio and anything related to it, as an experiment? A system restore would correct that, if done within the Windows environment (not BIOS). I'm ASSuming you have the HDMI from the vid card to the monitor and HDMI from the I/O panel for audio to your receiver. If so, you are using onboard audio and those settings have changed for some reason.

That being said:
Well then do a system restore and select a date when your system was running satisfactorily. Beyond that, the only other thing I'd recommend is a separate sound card and you stated that's not an option. That's what I have and the digital audio w/ my big reference speakers and surrounds w/ 4K monitors ( 3) 32"PC UHD) is great...gaming, HD audio, movies...a sweet media server rig. Good luck.
Restore computer

• Open Windows 10 and type “ restore point ” in the search bar
  • Click Create a restore point from the search results list
  • From the System Protection tab, at the System Restore area, click on System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Select a restore point from the available list
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Confirm this operation by clicking Yes at the warning message (“ Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted ...
More items

Last edited:

donteatsoap7

Estimable
Dec 15, 2016
I appreciate your help, however there are two HDMI cables connected to my GPU. One is connected to the TV, which displays the image. The second cable is connected to the receiver.

I'm using 0 ports from the MOBO.

I cannot change the audio settings from stereo to 7.1, just like how I did a few days ago.

Even if I change the inputs on the TV and receiver (HDMI out from GPU, to HDMI in to receiver, then HDMI in on TV), I cannot change from stereo to 7.1. I tried this direct connection, with no other cables in the GPU.

7.1 in Windows is physically unable to be selected.

donteatsoap7

Estimable
Dec 15, 2016
I fixed it! I had a secondary monitor unplugged,but I reconnected it and everything works as intended!

I'm posting this on the event someone finds this on Google in the future.

Solution