News 7 reasons why I’m finally an electric bike believer

Mar 6, 2024
Mock speed? Physical excursions? Peddling? Is proofreading an article you dictated to your phone too much to ask?

Mar 7, 2024
I have been riding electric bikes for about 6 years now. I agree with most of what you say. I would add that these much too heavy bikes need at least 50 watts of assist to get them even with a cheap road bike for pedalling effort. That corresponds to the lowest level of assist for the three e-bikes I've had. I don't hesitate to add assist for uphill, upwind and soft ground travel, of which I encounter plenty. Even so, I can travel 30 miles on my current Rad without going below 3 of 5 bars. That's about half charge. I have zero range anxiety and my butt gives out way before my legs and battery.

I like to travel trails away from home on occasion , which means putting them in a vehicle. If the bike doesn't fold that means a carrier, which is a pain in the neck. Not that putting a 75 pound folded bike in a cargo area or trunk is any fun.

Mar 11, 2024
I firmly believe e-bikes will represent 20% of the vehicles on the road in ten years (if not sooner.) The main driver will be economic rather than environmental or health benefits. When a new college grad starting their first job with a 20 mile commute can either buy a junkie car for tens of thousands of dollars, or spend 1K on an e-bike, it's not hard to see that many of them will opt for the bike.

It becomes even more obvious when that same new college grad has to decide between car ownership or home ownership. E-Bikes just make sense.