7 Ways VLC is More Useful and Fun Beyond Media Playback

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalWarlord

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
How about Offset Audio feature? that's a neat feature. Some video's have audio that doesn't play at the same time as the clip. VLC has a feature to solve that and synchronizes it. VLC FTW!!!

freedom4556

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
VLC is for Mac users. MPC-HC is more more standards-compliant and has much better support for subtitles, better renderers and support for 3rd party renderers (like madvr), better hardware deinterlacing support, and better compatibility for GPU acceleration with wonky encodes and on uncommon video cards (like Intel and older AMD/ATI stuff). Either that or use a GUI frontend for mplayer, like smplayer.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
vlc/windows media player with K-lite and you are done for 95% of all video movies series. the only thing yet to be implemented is 3d. i got nvidia 3d and sadly need to get the only good 3d player out for money is power dvd.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]freedom4556[/nom]VLC is for Mac users. MPC-HC is more more standards-compliant and has much better support for subtitles, better renderers and support for 3rd party renderers (like madvr), better hardware deinterlacing support, and better compatibility for GPU acceleration with wonky encodes and on uncommon video cards (like Intel and older AMD/ATI stuff). Either that or use a GUI frontend for mplayer, like smplayer.[/citation]
MPC-HC is definitely better. It really is too bad that it's a windows exclusive.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I use VLC for desktop wallpaper too. This is definitely a "more than a media player" feature.
I know there are other players that can do the animated wallpaper feature, but VLC can do it with command line switches to start in wallpaper mode and to stretch/crop/center, mute audio etc so it can become a simple shortcut with one click to play the favourite video wallpaper.

DigitalWarlord

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]freedom4556[/nom]VLC is for Mac users.[/citation]

Seriously? Mac users? First of all, VLC was born on a Linux platform. Second, VLC was pulled from the Apple Store because of Apple's strict licensing agreements. Third, I don't know any Mac user who uses VLC, mainly because they're way too attached to their Quicktime player. Where do you even come up with that conclusion?

G

"As mentioned a while ago, VLC has a very customizable."
This, and these types of articles, are incredibly and horrendously.

G

I used to use MPC-HC. Now with version 2.x I just use VLC. It's great as it handles everything that MPC with the latest codecs (ffmpeg, etc) does--Hi10p, ordered chapters, *perfect subtitles*-- In fact, with its libass, you can override aspects of the subs such position that you can't do in VSFilter for MPC.

In addition, this article does not cover the plethora advanced features that is available in Preferences -> Show Settings = All

Status
Not open for further replies.