Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
HP 15-N208TX

NVIDIA GT 740M 2GB 64 bit Edition
i5 4200U 2.6Ghz
4 GB RAM 1600Mhz

I've been trying to figure out why is my GPU throttling, but unfortunately I couldn't. I am now sort of freaking out.

Okay, when I start my games it run good as it used to run after 5 minutes or so I suddenly see huge drop in fps. When checking my GPU, the clock speed reduces from 700-800Mhz to 405Mhz.

While referring to some technical web sites I found that Nvidia GT 740M has three Power states,

P0 - The Maximum Performing Power State

P5 - A balanced power state

P8 - Ideal power state or low power state.

I have found out, at first my GPU runs in P0, after some time it falls to P5 power state, and after that falls to P8 power state, the ideal state and so the frequency reduces to 405Mhz.

Its worries me even more when I see it falls to 405Mhz at 65-70 degree centigrade. I have also tried using Speedfan but it shows no fan controls, it seems my laptop simply doesn't supports. Ive got it cleaned up from inside, updated to latest drivers available, directx updates, still the problem persists, and it seems its not happening with other 740M users, quite awful. Here is one screenshot I took.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j58dvcrW3o8/VdhTgAUZU5I/AAAAAAAAAbM/JnHbGo2z5eE/s1600/Untitled.bmp

I have got no idea other than selling this laptop to play games, well I hope to resolve this problem, else I have no option.

Laxmikant Kachhap

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Its very stupid but I what I saw is quite strange. I started far cry 4 today, and as usual and after 5 minutes of gameplay it started lagging again cuz gpu & memory clock went to default low speeds. I just opened the GPU Z and under "PerfCap" it was shown as "Thrm" that means my GPU is Thermal throttling at temperature 64 C. But I saw the core usage is around 60-70%, so I decided to increase graphics in-game, I made it to medium from low settings and I saw the Clocks rising up as the core usage was reaching 95%, Increase to High, Now the clocks were always at Boost Clock, fps increased too, and no lag. Now I dont see any lower clocks at High Graphics.

Seems like its a power saving feature of NVIDIA mobile cards that on lower core usage the frequency of the components lowers, even after setting the power state at High Performance.