8 years old DELL Inspiron 1721 not POSTing, no beeps, no fan spinning - only power and bluetooth lights on.

GlamRockStylist

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Hi all,
so I have a DELL Inspiron 1721 which just crashed while I was browsing; Crashed as in just completely froze, sound and all so much so that I had to force it to shut down manually. When I tried powering the computer back on, only the power and bluetooth lights come on, no sound of a fan spinning. There is no beeping either. Also I tried doing the DELL LCD test which you have to press the power up button + D for the screen to change colors on its own (translation: the LCD is not the problem). I'm thinking more maybe CPU, maybe gpu (which is attached to mobo unfortunately, and which therefore would mean the end of it). It could be the adapter, I had to change it in this computer's 8 years of life once already.
However, there is no more DELL reseller to check what's going on so I think I'm just gonna buy another laptop, they make them cheaper and more powerful nowadays.
If I were sure of the issue, I'd look into the pros and cons of fixing it myself for the part in particular vs buying a brand new laptop.

Notebook: Dell Inspiron 1721 (Inspiron 17 Series)
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64
Memory: 1Gb DDR2 (non dedicated)
Graphics Adapter: ATI Radeon Xpress X1270
Display: 17.1 inch, 16:10, 1920x1200 pixels

GlamRockStylist

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply hang-the-9,
I opened up my laptop to look around, no memory issue, as I tested that. I've narrowed it down to the motherboard, or built-in graphic's card, or CPU. The fan is not spinning at all when I turn on the laptop. I doubt the fan just died. Sounds more like a motherboard failure or dead CPU short-circuiting the POST process.
There is no smell of burnt circuit though. However, I think I'll just move on to a more modern laptop.

Thanks again hang-the-9 ^^