8Gb or 16Gb RAM?

XenoDwarf

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Acer Aspire V3-572G-54L9
NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Intel Core i7-4510U

I currently have 8Gb RAM, but I can upgrade to 16 for a performance boost, is it worth upgrading? I've heard somewhere that adding RAM isn't always good. Will it actually improve processing power?

Edit: I use the laptop for gaming, and by performance boost i mean higher fps. the system is 64-bit windows 10

Solution
The machine will definitely accept it but how much usable RAM is showing in Control Panel>System at the moment? 16GB will only benefit you properly if you're running a 64 bit version of Windows.

If the usable figure is anything much less than the full 8GB, it probably isn't worth upgrading if you're using a 32 bit system.
The machine will definitely accept it but how much usable RAM is showing in Control Panel>System at the moment? 16GB will only benefit you properly if you're running a 64 bit version of Windows.

If the usable figure is anything much less than the full 8GB, it probably isn't worth upgrading if you're using a 32 bit system.

Solution

CBender

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
Also what do you mean by performance boost? If you are not maxing the full 8gb of your system's memory, the added won't do that much of a difference. So the question is if you are using the 8gb and need more. If you use Chrome, you might need a bit more than 16GB though :)

If you go on with the upgrade be very careful of getting the same type of memory down to every detail. Memory can be finicky.