$99 Android Console Reaches Goal in Under 12 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
this just sounds pointless. i can play games from my phone on my tv with an hdmi cable if i really wanted to. if im buying a separate box just to play games, its gotta have better specs than this thing. and i dont buy the argument that all the best game makers are starting to leave consoles for mobile platforms - sounds very unlikely.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Android and iPhone game sales have made more money than the DS and PSP combined. Say what you want about gaming on a phone, this is a VERY smart move.

Also I am a hardcore 33 year old gamer, and the only handheld I ever use now is my Android based Xperia Play.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I don't get the point of this. From what I understand you can already connect your smartphones and tablets to proper joypads and TVs. We don't need more consoles or platforms; we need unification. Plus isn't the openness essentially just like PC?

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
yep ,true, I knew it!, since phones start adding graphics processors units was clear that consoles might be forgotten, because game developers started making 3D games that look awesome, & what is more games that run on more or less powerful phones with graphics that looks like those that you find or even better on consoles (except for Mario Bros I'm willing to buy the next wii U console just because I still want to play Mario.) for example I bought a Galaxy S3 and I installed a lot of games, now I need a lot of extra space to install more games that I bought on google play, and I'm next to buy some samsung apps that I see useful. Also I got a lot of music to play :). and now the selling point of the Tablet Nexus 7 is tempting me to buy it right away ! jejeje :p but yeah Android games are the way to go over consoles in my opinion.

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Dave Lister[/nom]Oh Yeah?[/citation]

its actually pronounced ooya . it says it on their kick starter page

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Sounds good, but how do the economics work out?

If this, as it seems:

- pretty much describes the current tablet hardware sans screen
- tablet with the specs would sell for.. $199 - 400
- the cost of the screen is about $25, give or take something

Sounds like it's marginally possible to hit $99 as manufacturing cost, but then what? When/how does the profit come in?

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This sounds awesome. We have already seen what indie developers can do with a tiny budget. An open platform could really open up a new realm of creativity. This could be better for indie developers than even Steam.

Tooki

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
When will people realize that free-to-play is actually terrible. Free-to-play games are never good, and there are plenty of games out there that are available for next to nothing that are actually fantastic. I really hope they change this policy, else I have no interest in this console whatsoever.

G

What stupid French person came up with that name? At least Wii is named after your WiiWii :D

Status
Not open for further replies.