A $200 Tablet You Could Actually Consider Buying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I think the Kindle Fire will end up being far more successful. Ignoring the possibilities of getting root and flashing your own rom to the vastly superior (hardware wise) kindle fire, you also have the problem of development. 800x600 is an oddball Android resolution. Most Android devices use a 16:9 - 16:10 aspect ratio. Most tablet-aware apps will likely be coded to work with that aspect ratio. Besides that, it wouldn't suprise me if the Kindle Fire became the new base spec for coders to write for as far as CPU/GPU performance is concerned.

Finally, people are pretty shallow. The iPad is a great device that works well. It's also flashy, and often used as a status symbol. Kindle is a respected name in the consumer space, so you don't look like a k-mart shopper using one.

G

The Kobo Vox is just another cheap chinese tablet that is super unstable, DOES NOT HAVE Android Market, or any of the Google stack of apps, what you see on the screen are just links to the browser versions of gmail etc., I'm returning mine tonight. I'm opting for a $150-200 discount tablet, their seems to be quite a few decent ones out their these days, including the one mentioned above. duronftw; don't bring the Kobo Vox into it when you obviously haven't tried one.

dougwa

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I could get some use out of this, but when I see apps (Netflix) available soon I wonder how much else I wont be able to use and how many months will I wait to get it. Will these lesser known brands of tablets work well in the long run with the things I want to use them for? Will they update anything? Will they support it , or are they just thowing it out there hoping you'll buy it for a low price. I dont care who makes them, I care about how much usability I'll get out of it.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Tablets are suppose to be devices priced under $200 the price point below the entry level netbooksa netbook is faster, has more memory and more storage at the $200 price point than a tablet or ipad has at the $500 price point.There is no benefit to getting a tablet over a netbook if you are spending $200 or more as if there is a location where you cant being a netbook due to the size, then you also wont be able to bring a tabletAlso one of the most popular accessories for a tablet, is a bluetooth keyboard.That brings the price of a decent tablet to the price range of a gaming laptopI currently have a HP touchpad, which was well worth the $120 (with you include the shipping and tax)I will never spend more than $200 on any tablet[/citation]Exactly--tablets are only worth anything if you can get them for under $150. But I'd rather an old netbook for $150...so they've gotta be more like $100 for me.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]Why this if you can have a Kindle Fire/Lenovo IdeaPad K1?[/citation]

For a basic android tablet, the SuperNova gives you 8" screen, dual camera (font/back), 4GB storage, Micro SD slot, hdmi port, and mini-usb. The SuperNova's weak points are the single 1GHz cpu and the 800x600 Resolution. Kindle doesn't have any cameras, hdmi port or a MicroSD slot to upgrade the storage to 32GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.