A 6.5-inch Ultraportable With a Numeric Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

praetorianguard

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I quite like the idea. I think it's a rather clever design. I'm not sure how practical or desireable it would be in the real world, but it's still pretty cool.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
intriguing for sure, if it is better than my netbook then i might switch but only depending on the cost, as i do not use my netbook unless traveling.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I personally don't understand the appeal to making things that small. At a certain point, it would just be better to use a smartphone then carrying around that goofy looking contraption. Or use a 13 inch laptop.

graymen

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Cool design for the keyboard but why bother with the numeric pad on the right? Who would ever use it on a netbook type device anyways? I say screw the numeric pad and put a full touch pad for the mouse there instead. I think it would be much more usable then as I can't stand those eraserhead type mouse controllers.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I thought we moved past this eraser nub mouse thing!! It's terrible and almost impossible to use, but I guess you could always buy a wireless laser mouse.

Also, taking a closer look at the image, there are MANY problems with this device. The first one is that it doesn't offer what it promises, a number pad, or am I just blind? The keys are all laid out in a fashion which would make typing near impossible, and the folding out keyboard looks like it could possibly be flimsy and break, although that's something that could easily be avoided with a few well placed fold-out pegs. The placement of the scroll bar will definitely be a hindrance to anyone who moves their thumb while typing causing you to scroll all over the place. Even if this is just a design picture, you'd think they could try a little better to make it look like it will. This, in all regards, is an epic fail on the designers part.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I like the navigation nipple, always have after using Thinkpads for work. I find it a lot easier to use than the touch strips most laptops rely on. If I have the option of both I disable the touchstrip because I end up activating it by accident all the time even when I'm just typing.

I do agree that the practicality of this device is questionable at best. I guess we have to wait and see how it goes if/when they mass produce it.

G

All this needs now is a 3 foot high spoiler. After all, only the sort of idiot that puts one of those on his car would want this.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I could see using that design on HASMAT suites or bio-contaminant suites, or people who need the computer but don't really have free hands, so they strap it to one of their forearms and then type with the other hand (fingers). I wouldn't expect someone to be at the level of a touch-typer but still it's an interesting idea. Something similar, but with holographic displays was the design in the sci-fi movie "Red Planet", for the outside of the mars space suites.

n1nj4Lo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The present repeating the past once again!!

Anyone remember the IBM Butterfly ThinkPad 701C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBCLhfWekDQ
Flipped out: http://vdm.io.tudelft.nl/fca/ibm/14.jpg
Halfway opened: http://solidstatemarcomms.com/communities/3/004/006/719/643/images/4522995301.swf

That keyboard had more of a butterfly/switchblade effect like keyboard.. Opening the screen would unlock and cause a mechanism/lever in the keyboard to expand as the screen was flipped open..

Pretty much the same idea here..

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
[citation][nom]graymen[/nom]Cool design for the keyboard but why bother with the numeric pad on the right? Who would ever use it on a netbook type device anyways? I say screw the numeric pad and put a full touch pad for the mouse there instead. I think it would be much more usable then as I can't stand those eraserhead type mouse controllers.[/citation]

A slightly ruggidized version would be absolutely perfect for on the site engineering or basic accounting. Since Excel has become the cheapest solution for many small engineering firms, it stands to reason why a numeric keypad would be awesome to integrate into it. It may also be perfect for carrying around at school, since your average netbook is still bigger. This is all ofcourse assuming you can still run Microsoft Office...

Status
Not open for further replies.