A First Look At Firefox 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Oh come on... who's in charge there. Ex-Nokia CEO's or what?
This is becoming ludicrous. 13 Beta's....what a bunch of morons. They're making total fools of themselves.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]Oh come on... who's in charge there. Ex-Nokia CEO's or what?This is becoming ludicrous. 13 Beta's....what a bunch of morons. They're making total fools of themselves.[/citation]

not a terribly useful critique is it?

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I dont' care if they have 100 betas, if they can make one 100% stable with Flash rather than flagging it as stable then I'll be happy.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Firefox 4 isn't even out of beta yet and they are working on Firefox 5. Does anyone else feel like new versions are no longer developments based on improvements as opposed to development for the sake of giving people something fresh and new, however shitty?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
+1
reminds me of intel and microsoft.
millenium, vista
Pentium Pro, P2, P4, i5
starting to become also AMD and Nvidia's new technique also, they must figure if others can get away with it they can too!

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Wow. FF5 that soon after FF4? Not liking the idea.

That means something went wrong on FF4 and add-on devs will have to scramble to get their add-ons compatible with FF5.

Should be interesting.

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
The "problem" is that Google is sh*tting out new versions of Chrome (as they do with Android) on what seems like a montly basis - they're up to 10 now... - while Mozilla tried to be serious about version numbers.

However, people are generally stupid, so they figured Chrome was always newerer than Firefox. Now Mozilla figures they can be stupid too and launch every incremental update as a major version. It's basically like the Ghz-race of CPUs a couple of years ago.

This is the brave new world where 'appearing' is more substantial than 'being'. Ask Justin Bieber.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Wow. FF5 that soon after FF4? Not liking the idea.That means something went wrong on FF4 and add-on devs will have to scramble to get their add-ons compatible with FF5.Should be interesting.[/citation]
I'm guessing its most likely just mainly a UI change. It should only affect the childish ricing add-ons not the important ones.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Mozilla doesn't have money to burn like Google and Microsoft; so they can't just throw another 100 software engineers in to work on bugs. It is still favorite browser and I have used them all (Opera, Chrome, IE9 beta, and Firefox). So they take a little more time to get it right before sending it out the door, well good for them and good for me too. As far as working on Firefox 5 already, of course they should be looking ahead, think Intel and Amd aren't already working on new processors even though they haven't even shipped the one's reported for this year? If you work in the hardware or software industry you better be thinking years ahead if you won't to survive. Google just keeps throwing money at Chrome and Android, because they can, there really isn't anything that's that new or exciting in either one that I can see, but they talk a good game so everyone thinks they're the sh**t. I'll stick with Firefox thankyou.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Yea, I'm a loyal Firefox fan as well. It's familiar and it works w/o too many drastic changes. However, I only use 1-2 plugins (at the most) and I don't keep a facebook (or any other social media) tabs or sites open in a browser. I use Empathy for Google Talk, Skype, Facebook, and all my other chat & video protocols. (yes, Facebook is just another chat protocol to me). Web apps are kind of a joke to me as well, as is the "Cloud."

**LINUX**
On a side note, for any Gnome users out there, give the newer releases of Opera a try. I know it's not F/LOSS, but it has used GTK+ for the past several releases and integrates well. I avoid QT libraries as much as possible, that is why I mention this.
**LINUX**

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well it is good that firefox 4 is out soon...If it means anything to these Mozilla group I would rather them iron out all the bugs then to be forced to have an earlier release date...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well looks like it came up eventually,the first post that is...I pressed submit my comment & nothing of my post came up when the page came up again & so I done another post & pressed submit & this time it came up,but with the previous post also...

Status
Not open for further replies.