A good audio system for a small 2 floor house?

Stingy

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
My parents were doing some research for a sound system in our house, (something to connect through bluetooth/aux,) when they called up a best buy guy to come by our house and inspect it to decide on the best system. He recommends Sonos, which I understand is a very nice, (and expensive!) sound system, but I thought to myself, "This guy is probably out to make sales, not good advice,) which made me want to come to you guys to see if that is actually the best decision, or something more inexpensive/higher quality from a company like Bose, Panasonic, etc would be a much better choice. Thanks!

Solution
While you are on the project: Run Ethernet drops, and coax cable drops, to every room in the house!

If you want centrally-stored, centrally-controlled music throughout the house, Sonos is quite good (and probably the only off-the-shelf) solution.

You can go DIY route with receiver / amplifier in each room, Ethernet or WiFi network, and some kind of media player to pull music from a central place.
While you are on the project: Run Ethernet drops, and coax cable drops, to every room in the house!

If you want centrally-stored, centrally-controlled music throughout the house, Sonos is quite good (and probably the only off-the-shelf) solution.

You can go DIY route with receiver / amplifier in each room, Ethernet or WiFi network, and some kind of media player to pull music from a central place.

Solution
Is the house wired for a distributed sound system (ie built in speakers and keypads)?
If it isn't then using cheap BT speakers will not be a good solution since you can't pair a phone with more than one speaker at a time. Phone battery goes flat if you want to listen for more than a short time and often the music stops when you take a call.
Sonos is not cheap but it offers very high value. Your devices running the Sonos app are remotes and Sonos does the streaming directly so your phone can be off. Each zone is separate so you can have different music playing at different volumes. Very easy to use and accesses every free and pay music service plus plays all the music files on all the computers or nas drives on the network.
They offer stand along speakers, the playbar (for your TV when music is off), the ConnectAmp for passive speakers and the Connect for an existing system.
If price is an issue you don't have to do every room at once.

If the house has been wired you can use a stereo receiver. and a single Sonos Connect to create a simple system that can be expanded over time.