A Hardware Flaw is Holding Back White iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i thought because the white paint would cause hipster eyes to blow up (hence the indoor sunglasses) so they had to develop a special off white color to avoid the situation. They should also make a hand outline to avoid holding it wrong.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Most of my Nokia phones since 2003 have had both front facing cameras and rear ones... My N95 was all white and though retied, works perfectly... So I'm sorry Jobs, go try stealing more concepts and grab some good designers while you're at it...

G

Unlike other companies, Apple does not sell crappy products, and this is an example of Apple fixing what is potentially a very annoying issue with the camera. So I'd give Apple credit for being proactive on this one. Not many companies practice Quality Assurance like this, and because Apple is considered the cadillac of consumer electronics, this is what we should expect from them.

sargentchimera

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Wait, why is it hard to make the phone white? just die the plastic or whatever teh iphone uses as a case white and be done with is. Or is tehre some reason they just can't do that? Is the white model superior to the black? Does it have more features? Is it JUST white?! Idk I think there is something I am not getting, why is it so hard ot just make it white?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]let-me-see-your-tweets[/nom]Unlike other companies, Apple does not sell crappy products, and this is an example of Apple fixing what is potentially a very annoying issue with the camera. So I'd give Apple credit for being proactive on this one. Not many companies practice Quality Assurance like this, and because Apple is considered the cadillac of consumer electronics, this is what we should expect from them.[/citation]

Wow... just... wow...
"cadillac of consumer electronics" ?? Not many things turn my stomach.... This did...

Where DID YOU COME FROM??!! Employed by Apple? Or are you just ignorant of history?
Try googling "antennagate". Read!!
Or, don't acknowledge reality... your choice.

G

So they are worried their phone won't take decent pictures, that's why they wont release it. But if their phone wont make phone calls, go ahead and release it? Now that's Apple at its finest.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Not really related to any of this, just a quick rant from someone who has learned to hate
Apple by way of trying to support their [garbage, sold to an unsuspecting public], I mean "products" over several years. (hint: I will never **EVER** buy anything with an Apple logo).
The only positive I see on an Apple product is the money I have made making them "work" for other people that own Apple's equipment.

Apple is awesome!!! >>> Black-holes, supernovas, earthquakes, tornado's, tsunami's, nuclear explosions, and being struck an fried by lightning are awesome too.
Things to be avoided... ;o)

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I just think they don't have a product launch in the first Q2011, thus the white model, with a premium price is what may just help boost the market a little for them..... till they come up with the new line.....

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Im pretty sure they already have the phones manufactured, they are trying to solve the problem from a software stand point. They just don't want to throw away all these phones already made.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ruffopurititiwang[/nom]If Apple didn't imply that their devices are perfect and IN EVERY WAY superior to their competitors then maybe people won't criticize each and every little flaw their devices have. What, Macs don't crash? Lacking flash is a feature, not a deficiency? Give me a break![/citation]

There's a difference between saying your product is reliable and 'just works' and claiming that it's perfect. If you asked any manufacturer they would say the same.

The only people who criticise are the people who chose different phones/computers, and normally based on a perceived better value-for-money. People aggressively defend their own choices so as not to regard themselves as stupid. The reason there is such aggression towards the Apple products, and not to any other phone which they also didn't buy, is that the majority of the public, voting with their cash, prefer Apple. It's like an inferiority complex, people who don't buy Apple constantly have to validate themselves and justify their decision.

I personally find it pretty tragic. And I own a Sony Vaio Z.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Wow... just... wow..."cadillac of consumer electronics" ?? Not many things turn my stomach.... This did...Where DID YOU COME FROM??!! Employed by Apple? Or are you just ignorant of history?Try googling "antennagate". Read!!Or, don't acknowledge reality... your choice.[/citation]

Yeah, 'wow'. 'Antennagate' being the most ridiculous example of mass crying the world has ever seen. I've seen and held the IPhone 4, and unless you deliberately set out to hold it in a way in which the signal gets reduced, the antenna has NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.

People who blow it out of proportion are the ridiculous ones.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Erm, make the plastic around the camera black.Pfft, idiots.[/citation]

Nonsense! If you do that you'll tarnish the Apple philosophy of simplistic design!! Form over function! And by over I mean way sky high over.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]let-me-see-your-tweets[/nom]Unlike other companies, Apple does not sell crappy products, and this is an example of Apple fixing what is potentially a very annoying issue with the camera. So I'd give Apple credit for being proactive on this one. Not many companies practice Quality Assurance like this, and because Apple is considered the cadillac of consumer electronics, this is what we should expect from them.[/citation]

Considered the Cadillac of consumer electronics by who, Stevie boy maybe but he's so far gone now i think he's becoming delusional? I don't even consider said car company to be particularly luxurious, why not try real luxury makes like Bentley and Aston Martin. Back to the point, Apple aren't being pro-active, they're trying to make sure that the new iphone they're trying to release isn't as broken as the first but it seems like their original designs for number 4 are coming back to bite them.

And what i expect Apple to do, like all other companies manage to quite easily, is to not market their products like they're Gods gift to the earth. Magical and revolutionary? My arse they were, they dumbed down a pre-existing product, made it shiny so the magpie in us all would buy it and called it a few emotional buzz words.

Lovers gonna love, haters gonna hate but to be honest, the 'haters' seem to have very strong points to make these days.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]Lovers gonna love, haters gonna hate but to be honest, the 'haters' seem to have very strong points to make these days.[/citation]

So, lets look at this particular scenario, right now. The 'strong point' for the 'haters' is that Apple is trying to ensure their phone doesn't have issues before releasing it.

Damn, Satan's minions at work again.

What you perceive as a 'strong point' is actually more a case of you seeing what you want to see, most likely due to the fact that you chose to buy another phone and are so insecure about that choice that you constantly have to defend it.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
They'll better be fixing the antenna issue on the white one. What's the point in selling another flawed model when they could have done something about it while people were waiting?
Oh wait... It wasn't flawed. People were just holding it wrong. People are flawed! Not iPhone!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Hardware flaws never held them back in rolling out the black one![/citation]
Man, that was the epitome of truth
Steve!
Roll out a fudged white phone, tell them they are holding it wrong and fob them off with a plastic bumper
Again!!!

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah, 'wow'. 'Antennagate' being the most ridiculous example of mass crying the world has ever seen. I've seen and held the IPhone 4, and unless you deliberately set out to hold it in a way in which the signal gets reduced, the antenna has NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER.People who blow it out of proportion are the ridiculous ones.[/citation]

Well if you're left handed, you will have problems. But maybe Apple doesn't like lefties :p

Status
Not open for further replies.