Solved! A new laptop for an economics major

davesdesignscz

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Hey there!

Starting September, I'll be going to uni, where I'll be majoring in economics. As I only have a desktop right now, I want to buy a laptop to use there. You might say I'm a bit early, but I can think of quite a few ways a laptop would come in useful even now, so that's why I'm already looking to buy one.
To start, my budget is around 1100 USD or 1000 EUR (I could stretch it a bit more if need be) and I live in the EU (so EU prices apply to me).
I'd like the keyboard to be comfortable to type on, the battery to last at least 6 hours (preferably more), the screen to be somewhat decent and the hardware to be good enough to not become obsolete in 2 years. It also wouldn't hurt if it looked nice. I'm aware that this is quite a lot for the price point, but I've been able to come up with a few machines that would mostly fit the criteria.
The ones I thought were pretty good (specced to cost around 1100 USD) were: the Surface Laptop 3, HP Envy 13, Asus Zenbook 14 and Xiaomi Notebook Pro 2020 (though there are some technical support concerns with that one)
This is really going to be a computer mostly for school-related work, I'll still have my desktop for more intense stuff (such as gaming). However, I'd still like the laptop to be, let's say, pleasant to use.
Thanks!

Edit: I found the "new laptop form" on TomsHardware, so here it is:
1. What is your budget?

Around 1100 USD (I could stretch it a bit if need be)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13"-15" (roughly) in screen size, slim bezels, not too heavy

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080p+

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

6 hrs+

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Not really, only light-weight games such as osu!

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mostly school-realated work (economics major)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I don't really know, probably at least 240GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

amazon.de, otherwise local sites (similar pricing)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I want a Windows machine, I don't really care about the brand

13. What country do you live in?

Czechia, can ship from anywhere in the EU (Czech or English keyboard layout vastly preferred)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'd like it to be comfortable for extended periods of typing. I'd also like the trackpad to be at least decent and the design to be nice.
Some of the machines I thought were pretty good (specced to cost around 1100 USD) were: the Surface Laptop 3, HP Envy 13, Asus Zenbook 14 and Xiaomi Notebook Pro 2020 (though there are some technical support and warranty concerns with that one).
I don't care about speaker quality, I pretty much always use a pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 31, 2020
Solution