A Notebooks Under-powered Motherboard

Daniel531

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
Hello all, so I've inherited a problematic laptop from my uncle who'd just about given up on it- HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook, Windows VIsta 32bit factory installed, AMD Turion 64x2 processor, (17.5 in LCD display with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 graphics) as the screen was blank when powering the Notebook on. The os loads and the only means of using it was essentially as a desktop (connected to external display)... where upon tinkering i found the screen could become lit up (no full display but active nonetheless). I've since tried a few things with varying degrees of "success."
-reinstalling vista32bit from recovery partition
-installing win732bit
-installing win764bit : both win7's resulted in something I can only describe as what sounded like an electrical short on the board with a visible horizontal white-line-glitch toward the upper right side of screen, where then the display would be lost, leaving an aura-like glow on the screen and/or when connecting to external display, upon trying to activate the notebook's display I would get a blue error screen.
Now, I have settled in with the installation of win8.1 64bit where I can get the screen on, but only after engaging the disk-drive to spin, (indicated by hearing the drive and the indicator light for the hdd to light up.. typically I'll get full display/graphics to show up sitting at the "log into to your microsoft account password/pin page promp. BUT NO CONSISTENT NOTEBOOK SCREEN DISPLAY PRIOR TO THAT (no display from the time I power on the notebook to the os having loaded: during bios setup-function key-system settings)

Daniel531

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention (and am not sure if this has anything to do with what I believe to be the disk drive/mother board not receiving sufficient power) but the notebook's battery is essentially dead and It is currently being used with the ac power-cord plugged in/ The screen's display issue appears both with the battery connected as well as disconnected (plugged in at all times. Could the barely performing battery have damaged circuitry to the motherboard? or, at the very least, be contributing to the motherboard receiving insufficient power.. therefore components of the pc not performing at designed or intended levels??