Solved! A PC better than a Macbook Pro?

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi

I am an information technology expert and I am planning to buy a new MacBook pro but I keep hearing apple haters saying it is over priced compared to the PCs out there so I did a search and did not find any laptops with as good specs
if there is anyone who believes there is please point me to it so I could compare

MacBook pro spec

CPU - 2.4 (3mb L2)
GPU - 9600 (256 mb)
Nvidia chipset
RAm - 2 GB (1066)
Screen - 1440 by 900
extras : wireless N , bluetooth

Please avoid custom built laptops because I wouldn't be able to return them if I didn't like them (such as custom upgraded HP or Dell etc)

note : Lets ignore software for now, I know there is much hate for apple here but I would appreciate it if we just look at spec/quality and not brand

I appreciate any help

Solution
It seems right now that you're very focused on getting good specifications for the money. It's no secret that Apple doesn't offer the best price to performance ratio, but they are still popular and well regarded because of the OS X factor.

As an owner of both a Dell Studio 15 and an aluminum MacBook, the fit and finish of the MacBook is very nice. It's put together in ways that few PC laptops are, but at the same time you really pay for it. You also have to deal with downsides, such as the glass screen (really reflective and annoying), only TWO USB ports, and an additional adapter is required to put video out.

There are far too many differences in life with a PC vs a Mac to leave the decision down to value for your dollar.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
It seems right now that you're very focused on getting good specifications for the money. It's no secret that Apple doesn't offer the best price to performance ratio, but they are still popular and well regarded because of the OS X factor.

As an owner of both a Dell Studio 15 and an aluminum MacBook, the fit and finish of the MacBook is very nice. It's put together in ways that few PC laptops are, but at the same time you really pay for it. You also have to deal with downsides, such as the glass screen (really reflective and annoying), only TWO USB ports, and an additional adapter is required to put video out.

There are far too many differences in life with a PC vs a Mac to leave the decision down to value for your dollar.

Solution

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
well, I decided to get a base line macbook because of their warranty, I am currently in Canada and will be going back to Dubai in a couple of months, apple's warranty is international while HP, Dell and all the others I asked about told me I have to buy a 300$~ 3 year warranty which I believe has no value for me
Note : for a visitor Canada is the cheapest place to buy apple computers, I compared it to the US and a base line macbook is worth 1350 CAD while in the US its 1300 USD
but 1350 CAD is 1000 USD~
1300 USD is 1600CAD~
and i should be able to get my tax back

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Ok first let me say that I am not a dell fan.
I have a MacBookPro a gatewayFX (haha im not a gateway fan either, but its a nice machine), and various other makes.

But after playing with the dell studio 16 a montho or so back, I was extremely impressed with the build quality. Man this thing is sturdy! Also the screen is amazing though it does have the mac-like glass.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175439&type=product&id=1218045569785

That would be a unit you could return to a retail shop not custom built, but you can order a higher resolution screen from dell and im sure other vendors. Again Dell is one of the brands I've never owned, but this does look like a well built machine.

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

a problem is the warranty, i liked Dell laptops, they work and have nice specs for cheap but they want to sell me a 3 year warranty for 300$..

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

Well even with a 3 year warranty it still undercuts the apple by a heck of a lot while having some better specs and more expandability.
Not to mention the fact that you would have 3 years vs 1 year and their extended warranty appears to be much better than Apple's standard 1 year (only defects/parts/labor).

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

I am not in the US but in Canada, newegg and the others raise the price a lot on their Canadian store,
The thing about Dell is, their service sucks back in Dubai and I mean it

fire_storm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
So today I bought my macbook 2.4 and I love it soo far, didn't use it much yet but the moment I unboxed it i knew it was the right laptop
so I would like to thank the people who helped me chose

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Good choice. I got a 17" MBP a few weeks ago.

Check out the below URL for some comparisons.

http://technologizer.com/2009/03/31/hey-lauren-is-apples-17-inch-macbook-pro-expensive/