A question regarding an SD card

Albert123

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi, I just bought a 16 gig SDHC for my Galaxy S I9000 and I was wondering, can I install games on it instead of installing them on the built in memory?
And if so, will it have any benefits (performance and such)?

My phone is rooted and is running a CM 10.1 nightly
And it's a class 4 sd card
(if for some reason this information is relevant).
Thank's.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

I use Link2SD (search for it in the app store). Normally you can move games only if the game supports it. But as you have Root you can override this and install anything on the SD.

I believe you hvae to format your SD card for Link2SD to work. It will create a special partition on your card to move games and other apps on to.

Performance will be worse, SD cards are slower than the internal memory. The advantage is that you get more space. EG my HTC Desire only had 512Mb of internal storage space. I doubled this by force-moving 500Mb of data onto my SD card.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

You don't need the app. Cyanogen has a built in feature to install to sd card. settings/cyanogenmod settings/application/install location

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Oh actually I've just remembered, S2E. That's what you want. Wiggbott you just reminded me, download S2E and Freespace from the store. They are specifically for Cyanogenmod. S2E is much more powerful and you can choose in more detail what you want on the internal memory adn what on the SD card. For example with S2E you can keep the Applications in the internal memory but the Application Data on the SD card. I always push the Dalvik cache to the SD card as well, that frees up a bunch of space.

It'#s been a while since I used Cyanogen, I have a Nexus 4 now, I'd forgotten about that!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.s2e&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.krikun.freespace&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInJ1LmtyaWt1bi5mcmVlc3BhY2UiXQ..

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Because the read/write speeds of internal memory is normally much faster that the read/write speeds of an SD card.

On a related note, I highly recommend the Sandisk Mobile Ultra SD card.