A Sarcasm Algorithm That Detects Snotty Reviews

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
802
0
18,930
0
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]I think what he's saying is that just because an item is defective, it doesn't matter really, since all items are defective to some extent, and it's not a useful identifier to how useful the item is. I don't agree with the premise completely, because reliability of an item is also important, and it's not a data point that should be completely ignored. If an item has a high defect rate, and I am waiting impatiently on this item (let's say it's replacing one that broke, for context), then I do care if one is frequently dead on arrival. I think his unstated assumption is that all items, regardless of manufacturer, are going to have defects, which is true, but the number of defective ones is not going to be the same. Some have better quality than others.I agree with your solution, but, if I were reviewing an item and got a defective one, I would penalize the item in my score, probably one star, and mention that is why. I do think creating defective items should have a penalty associated with it, since it can be highly inconvenient, and something of a nuisance to get a defective product and then have to "RMA" it. There's also a saying "It's not that you lied to me that bothers me, it's that I can never trust you again". For me, I always have an uneasy feeling after I run into a defective product, even when receiving the replacement.[/citation]


I once knew a guy that bitched because his 20 year old toaster stoped working. that said the definition of reliable has changed , saddly the number of life eyars on products reliablity seem to go down ... My grand mother stil has a working 25" TV from 1963 , yet the 35" TV i bought for my mother back in 1999 died last year , but by all technicaly definitions no one has considered that 35" inch tv unreliable. Granted if you buy a computer and it craps out the next day , so you replace it and then the replacment craps out in one day as well, that is definitely an unreliable Computer. but in general people have lowered thier expectatiosn on electronic products in more reccent years. Case in point , take anthoer friend of mine, eyars ago back in high school he had a nintendo 64 burn it's self up on him,he had it for 2 years,he bitched (as any one would), and said that it should last at least 15 years, He still replaced it despite his bitching. Fast forward to more modern times , in 2005 his original xbox burned up , but oddly he didtn bitch about how things should alst at least 15 years , he only and the consoel for 5 years. he of coruse got a 360 which RRoD'ed on him just shy of 4 years age , and again he didn't complain, just said "ah well the console had a full life". so back to my original point i think over the reccent eyars peopel in this country have redefined what is reliable and what is unreliable as far as product life spans go. Maybe i'm just nuts when i think gadgets should work every bit as long as my old nintendo did (which still plays like brand new btw). speaking of old hardware ... my old computer i gave to my mom is stil up adn runign after 8 years not bad if you ask me though even i half expected that at least the harddrive would have failed by now.



jsut some food for thought though.
 

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
802
0
18,930
0
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]The first political campaign would peg a BS detector so hard it would bend or break the needle on an analog scale, or generate an out-of-range error on a digital one.[/citation]
nicely said i wonder why the heck some one gave you a thumbs down for speakignt eh truth, all politicians are full of crap
 

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
724
0
19,210
64
Although I was not the first one to mention a BS detector, I probably received the thumbs-down because the article was about a sarcasm detector, and my comment was not.
 

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
802
0
18,930
0
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Although I was not the first one to mention a BS detector, I probably received the thumbs-down because the article was about a sarcasm detector, and my comment was not.[/citation]


well bs detector wouldnt be much different .. likely see an article about one next week :p
 

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
233
0
18,830
0
a team of scientists at The Hebrew University's Institute of Computer Science in Jerusalem/

My sarcasm detector just went off. Or maybe that was my BS detector.
 

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
50
0
18,580
0
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]THAT IS THE MOST IMPRESSIVE THING EVER!!!!!!!1!!!!11!one![/citation]
TYPING ONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EXCLAMATION MARKS MAKES IT FUNNIER HAHA!
 

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
1,549
0
19,730
0
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]TYPING ONE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE EXCLAMATION MARKS MAKES IT FUNNIER HAHA![/citation]
Glad you agree... Wait a minute, my sarcasm detecting algorithm says that with your use of exclamations and capitals that you are being sarcastic. You bastard.
 

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
27
0
18,580
0
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I find more serious reviews on Newegg and Amazon than anywhere else for what I've bought but I wouldn't call it sarcasm that is the problem with reviews.The mass majority of "bad" reviews are those whom aren't even reviewing the product itself. I understand the frustration of getting a product that doesn't work out of the box, it happens. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the product itself and by rating something 1 or 0 out of 5 stars it destroys the products credibility when you are actually looking for feedback. People just need to realize what a review means and how you actually got about reviewing it. Amazon has a great number of users who initially review it crappy for a fail-out-of-box product and update it when they get the new one, that's reasonable.IMO If you don't actually have a working product to review don't even add your input because all you are going to do is bitch and moan about how Newegg shipped you a crappy product bundled by an outsourced non-American made product that has lowered the quality of the product. It's completely irrelevant to what people are looking for when they want feedback.Anyone else know what I mean?[/citation]

Yeah, and then you have people who review the product before they receive it. Some people even review the product before they order it. >.> These sites need to hire me so I can delete the moron reviews and slap up the users who post 'em. XD
 

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
27
0
18,580
0
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]What if we want to get a idea on the general failure rate and ease of use? If a product has only a 85% chance of working the first time you use it, thats a serious issue I want to know about.That would be awesome, but politicians would ban it...[/citation]

If a product only has an 85% chance of working the first time you get it, and you happen to be in the 15% that gets a bad one, you send it back and they send you a new one. If they don't, you sue them. If they say you clicked "I agree" to a clause that said you wouldn't sue them if you got a defective product, then you learn to actually read what you're agreeing to. Dog eat dog world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 0
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 5
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 14
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 18
G Streaming Video & TVs 29

ASK THE COMMUNITY