A Sarcasm Algorithm That Detects Snotty Reviews

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I find more serious reviews on Newegg and Amazon than anywhere else for what I've bought but I wouldn't call it sarcasm that is the problem with reviews.The mass majority of "bad" reviews are those whom aren't even reviewing the product itself. I understand the frustration of getting a product that doesn't work out of the box, it happens. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the product itself and by rating something 1 or 0 out of 5 stars it destroys the products credibility when you are actually looking for feedback. People just need to realize what a review means and how you actually got about reviewing it. Amazon has a great number of users who initially review it crappy for a fail-out-of-box product and update it when they get the new one, that's reasonable.IMO If you don't actually have a working product to review don't even add your input because all you are going to do is bitch and moan about how Newegg shipped you a crappy product bundled by an outsourced non-American made product that has lowered the quality of the product. It's completely irrelevant to what people are looking for when they want feedback.Anyone else know what I mean?[/citation]
So what about a keyboard that dies after 2 weeks? I don't keep receipts for products under $50 for that long (usually thrown out as soon as I verify that it works). I think that getting a dead product is justification of a bad review. Just state the reason for the 1 star. I find that those reviews are helpful to let me know if I have a good chance of buying a dead product. You just have to take them with the proverbial grain of salt.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Huh? A product that doesn't work out of the box has nothing to do with the product itself? Did you really say that? Just say no to drugs![/citation]

Considering it could be the way the UPS loves to toss around packages and the one bad apple that is guaranteed with almost any product per thousand, yeah. Customers know products aren't all thoroughly tested before they are boxed up, they come off of a factory line and get boxed, and shipped out. We expect defective products because of this, and yet we always hear it happening to some other guy. When it happens to you people flip the fuck out and immediately blame the device as just a piece of crap that is just a paper weight. So yes, a defective product isn't a review of the actual product. Send it back, get a new one and maybe knock of a star unless they wont give you a new one. If a product breaks down after a day or two and then some, then yes you can give it how ever many stars you want. My big gripe is those who just got it, found out it was defective, and get online in a made frenzy to post about it BEFORE they even call tech support to get a new one sent to them.

To me that is just unprofessional at its finest. The Internet is known for humor, but reviews and product feedback is something you expect serious responses that are thorough and accurate and not just somebody who pissed themselves in rage. Mentioning the fault is part of the review, not the ENTIRE review.

Ever notice how more people who are unhappy about a product are usually the first to jump on ship to write their opinion about it. If only the thousands who are too busy enjoying what they purchased took the time to write a brief review it would even out the retards who give unintellectual reviews.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I think he means people using the review section to complain isn't useful. In a perfect world, people who receive faulty units would request a new product and review that but include in their review that the first one they got didn't work.[/citation]

I think what he's saying is that just because an item is defective, it doesn't matter really, since all items are defective to some extent, and it's not a useful identifier to how useful the item is.

I don't agree with the premise completely, because reliability of an item is also important, and it's not a data point that should be completely ignored. If an item has a high defect rate, and I am waiting impatiently on this item (let's say it's replacing one that broke, for context), then I do care if one is frequently dead on arrival. I think his unstated assumption is that all items, regardless of manufacturer, are going to have defects, which is true, but the number of defective ones is not going to be the same. Some have better quality than others.

I agree with your solution, but, if I were reviewing an item and got a defective one, I would penalize the item in my score, probably one star, and mention that is why. I do think creating defective items should have a penalty associated with it, since it can be highly inconvenient, and something of a nuisance to get a defective product and then have to "RMA" it.

There's also a saying "It's not that you lied to me that bothers me, it's that I can never trust you again". For me, I always have an uneasy feeling after I run into a defective product, even when receiving the replacement.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Considering it could be the way the UPS loves to toss around packages and the one bad apple that is guaranteed with almost any product per thousand, yeah. Customers know products aren't all thoroughly tested before they are boxed up, they come off of a factory line and get boxed, and shipped out. We expect defective products because of this, and yet we always hear it happening to some other guy. When it happens to you people flip the fuck out and immediately blame the device as just a piece of crap that is just a paper weight. So yes, a defective product isn't a review of the actual product. Send it back, get a new one and maybe knock of a star unless they wont give you a new one. If a product breaks down after a day or two and then some, then yes you can give it how ever many stars you want. My big gripe is those who just got it, found out it was defective, and get online in a made frenzy to post about it BEFORE they even call tech support to get a new one sent to them.To me that is just unprofessional at its finest. The Internet is known for humor, but reviews and product feedback is something you expect serious responses that are thorough and accurate and not just somebody who pissed themselves in rage. Mentioning the fault is part of the review, not the ENTIRE review.Ever notice how more people who are unhappy about a product are usually the first to jump on ship to write their opinion about it. If only the thousands who are too busy enjoying what they purchased took the time to write a brief review it would even out the retards who give unintellectual reviews.[/citation]

Your premise that all products are equally defective is wrong. Some are defective more often than others, and this should be pointed out.

Even if they are willing to send another, it's a negative experience that most people would prefer to avoid, and it's a valid data point for that reason.

But, statistically speaking, it's irrelevant and that's the irony you're struggling with. With any product, it's EXPECTED that some will be defective and have bad reviews because of it. That's why we don't expect pure 5 reviews. So, the fact that people do this, lowers the expectation by a standard amount, and makes it wash if the product has an average number of defects. If it's very defective, the score will be disproportionately lower because of it, but that's how it should be.

There are always exceptions, but as the sample set gets higher, these become less and less important, and the overall quality of the product becomes more salient than statistical scatter.

G

"I'm SO being SARCASTIC right now"

There... Figure out that one- it's a paradox :)

If I'm not being sarcastic then I am sarcastic.
If I am sarcastic then I'm not sarcastic.
If I'm not sarcastic then...

Ok. My head hurts now.. :(

G

Way to go Hebrew University. To think detecting snobby reviews was the least of this planet's worries. You could have invented something that searches for the ark of the covenant, but no...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]You could have invented something that searches for the ark of the covenant, but no...[/citation]
I personally don't want Hitler getting a magic box that eats people's souls when they look at it. Not to mention the damn snake room.

builderbobftw

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
This product is a great idea, there is no other way to detect sarcasm! Also, This is a great use of funding, finding out if soemthing is sarcastic is something I have troubel with, and I realy need this crappy sarcasm detector!

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
[citation][nom]omikron48[/nom]Who cares about a sarcasm detector?!I'm still waiting for someone to make a legally admissible bull**** detector! (-_-)#[/citation]

Who cares? Sheldon should care, since he's sarcasm impaired.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
At the Mensa society meeting
Lisa: Now next week is our "state of the city" address. Has
everyone finished their proposals.
CBG: Well first of all I've a plan to eliminate obesity in
women.
Lyndsey Nagle: Oh please, for a nickel-a-person tax increase we could
build a theatre for shadow puppets.
Dr. Hibbert: Balinese or Thai?
Lyndsey Nagle: Why not both, then everybody's happy.
CBG: Oh yeah, everyone's real happy then.
Lyndsey Nagle: Do I detect a note of sarcasm?
Frink: (With sarcasm detector) Are you kidding? This baby is off
the charts mm-hai.
CBG: A sarcasm detector, that's a real useful invention.
(Sarcasm detector explodes)

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The first political campaign would peg a BS detector so hard it would bend or break the needle on an analog scale, or generate an out-of-range error on a digital one.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I find more serious reviews on Newegg and Amazon than anywhere else for what I've bought but I wouldn't call it sarcasm that is the problem with reviews.The mass majority of "bad" reviews are those whom aren't even reviewing the product itself. I understand the frustration of getting a product that doesn't work out of the box, it happens. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the product itself and by rating something 1 or 0 out of 5 stars it destroys the products credibility when you are actually looking for feedback. People just need to realize what a review means and how you actually got about reviewing it. Amazon has a great number of users who initially review it crappy for a fail-out-of-box product and update it when they get the new one, that's reasonable.IMO If you don't actually have a working product to review don't even add your input because all you are going to do is bitch and moan about how Newegg shipped you a crappy product bundled by an outsourced non-American made product that has lowered the quality of the product. It's completely irrelevant to what people are looking for when they want feedback.Anyone else know what I mean?[/citation]
What if we want to get a idea on the general failure rate and ease of use? If a product has only a 85% chance of working the first time you use it, thats a serious issue I want to know about.
[citation][nom]omikron48[/nom]Who cares about a sarcasm detector?!I'm still waiting for someone to make a legally admissible bull**** detector! (-_-)#[/citation]
That would be awesome, but politicians would ban it...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wow...

Giving a machine the ability to accurately discern such an abstract concept is quite a feat. Am I the only one here that is impressed? While I'll admit this isn't exactly Touring level, it's a step in the right direction towards more sophisticated AI.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I can already tell that this is going to be the most annoying/confusing thread I've ever read. . . What have I done?[/citation]

lol cute jane ... but you know the saying ... "you made your bed now sleep in it" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.