A Sensor That Can Protect Women From Sexual Assault

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]It's akin to running an STD panel or a criminal background check on your date.[/citation]So? Like I said, do you have something to hide?[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]If you're concerned enough about a drink that you need to test it before drinking, you probably shouldn't drink it either way.[/citation]In my opinion, there is no need for alcohol, period.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]azone[/nom]Great, this will only create paranoid women. Putting this thing in every drink.[/citation]

If it saves someone from being assaulted or worse then I got not problem at all with women doing these checks. Sad sign of the times.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Maybe it's unwise to assume this is a women-only thing. I mean, look at the vermin that puts pills in people's drinks for a laugh, including male drinkers either for a laugh, to get them hyped up for a rave or for something far more sinister. A couple of my friends suffered this in a bar, because some people were dropping pills (that can kill), in people's glasses for a joke. My friend almost died because of it.

The only practical alternative I can think of is covered drinking utensils, similar to 'Pot Rice' or most microwavable foods. You peel the cover to get at your drink, and you instantly know if someone's been tampering with it. That is of course, assuming you're sober enough to concentrate on the task at hand..

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Wow.. Some of these comments.. Seems like most of you don't know your head from your ass.

First of all.. It happens to women, and it's not uncommon for their 'trusted' friend to do it to them. Sord of like child molesters it's really not the creepy old guy down the street, it's a parent or sibling.

Second of all.. Anything helps.. Until you come up a 100% solution to this problem take what you can get, and just a bit further this helps guys just as much as women (although really how often does it happen to guys).

Third.. Not all women are sluts (for the hater that had his heart broken lol). And just because you're her boyfriend/husband does not give you the right to force yourself on her. Just because you think you should be having sex anyways.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I see the main use of this would be for women at large parties (think frats), and for college girls, this I imagine would be a very useful. Then again, in the case I'm thinking of, word of which frats are the bad frats spreads quick XD and it's only a matter of common sense in most cases anyways to stay away.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Design a glass with one of these embedded inside. Liquid very slowly drains from the glass past the sensor (some valve arrangement), and into a tiny receptacle at the bottom which is emptied when the glass is returned.

Without any idea of what the sensor is like or would cost the viability of this idea is unknown.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]I have doubts on the viability of this. Personally, if I was out with a woman and she whipped out a date rape test kit, the date wouldn't go much further.[/citation]

Totally agree for a date. But don't forget that in big partys, raves and lots of places that are crowded of people, some girls told me once they got their eyes off their drink in such places they just don't wanna drink it anymore. They are just dancing with friends they're not dating.

Effectively, drup rapping happens more in those places since it takes less than a second to put something in a left alone drink. That 200 000 women raped that way is only the actual ladies that remember that night and reported it to the authorities. It might be a few times higher in real life if we include all the others.

Personnaly I would not touch my drink anymore if I turned my back on it in a very frequented public place. I would never accept candies from stranger as well ^-^

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Wow, kinda surprised so many of you are responding negatively to this article. This is a good thing for anyone to have and not just women.

And to the guy who suggested this is like running a background check on your date? That's also a good practice when getting to know someone new. Doing these things discreetly isn't necessarily paranoia; if you were dating a friend of a friend you'd definitely ask for the low-down on that person first, and these are means by which to judge their character/history if no other venue is possible (you met them on your own, through a dating service, etc).

And on the issue of trust: most rapes are between a victim and perpetrator who know each other already. http://www.commerce.wa.gov/site/261/default.aspx

dgriffs

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
You should probably kill yourself if you cant get with a girl without drugging her first. These drugs probably aren't free either. You'd be better off getting prostitute which would be consensual and could be legal depending on the law.You would still feel sleezy but you wouldn't have to live with the guilt of being a rapist. I would never do either. Its just a shame that people are actually indecent enough to make this a problem.

wow, is n3ard3ath trolling or is he actually the most bitter man on the entire planet?
look man, it's not your (now ex) girlfriend's fault that you couldn't satisfy her! maybe if you were at least half a man she wouldn't have left you and you wouldn't have to make up things about her to feel better about yourself.
also, a man cannot rape his girlfriend? yea, i forget that women are property to be owned!

in summary: how pathetic.

He is off for a 2 week holiday ... comments like his posts are not appropriate, and certainly not shared by the rest of us.

Thanks to the user who reported him.

Toms is a family firendly site ...

Thanks

:)

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]pclee[/nom]One of my friend's was drugged once. She was very suspicious about the group of people she was out with but couldn't be certain until she woke up in a hospital. This sort of device may have saved her from that experience. Men who don't need drugs or any other form of intoxication to have a good time with a woman have nothing to worry about.[/citation]

With all due respect, I have to disagree. Things like this reinforce the "ALL MEN ARE POTENTIAL RAPISTS!" bullcrap that is going around in society today, which is being used to make everyone suspicious of men in every situation, bar none.

We don't need more of that. What we need is more women and girls who are S M A R T and don't go out with a man/boy (without friends being with them) until they know the man/boy quite well.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Another option is to simply avoid places where things like that happen. Yeah, I agree that date rape is a very sad and disgusting crime, but why would you go on a date with someone even suspect would do that to you?[/citation]
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]simple , cheap , and efficeint solution to the problem , required no reash and all of two brian cells to think of it ........*Drum roll*Girls should get thier own drinks , problem SOLVED[/citation]
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Another option is to simply avoid places where things like that happen. Yeah, I agree that date rape is a very sad and disgusting crime, but why would you go on a date with someone even suspect would do that to you?[/citation]

The response goes to you three and others who have the same thoughts.

1 - Date Rape drug (GHB, etc) can be used by ANYONE ANYWHERE. It doesn't have to be a club with alcohol. Just a guy(s) who can't get it anyway.

2 - Men get drugged with GHB too, not just at gay clubs. But at regular clubs? Why? To separate him from the GIRL. I know how that feels... a lot of us (guys and girls) got "hit" - some worse than others. Its true, you WILL do what someone tells you.

3 - THING to DO: Don't leave your drink. Cover your drink with your hand or napkin... Notice people who do that next time in a bar or club. Makes us less of a target because *WE* are looking for you. Have a friend sit at a table and watch drinks (you may notice this)

4 - Many times its NOT your date doing this. Hint: If a girl is already going out on a date with you - she has already allowed the idea of sex at some time if things work out. But a stranger you meet or dance with. They can stand next to you and drop the GHB without you looking.

5 - Never EVER EVER - get a free drink from a passing-by stranger.

6 - As stated above... getting your own drinks or from your friends / date / BF / GF / wife is safest... or if someone buys you a drink, you get it at the bar with the guy... but remember, someone can drug your own drink.

LOL, I bought a girl I was had an eye on, a drink... she was close to the bar with two gay friends. When I brought her the $8 drink, the guys said "Hey! We don't know this Belardo guy - don't drink it!".

I screwed up and I wasn't insulted. I told her - that her friends are RIGHT, she doesn't know me (15 mins) and I wasn't thinking.

Then one of these guys says "I'll take that drink" and picks it off the table... W T F ?! If (A) you are worried that a drink maybe drugged... (B) why would you drink it? I took it out of his hand... I didn't buy HIM a drink, I bought it for the girl. So I drank the drink in front of them and soon made my way away from them. You sure WOULDN'T drug yourself... GHB makes you feel like shit all day.

Be safe...

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]Don't go out for drinks with men you don't know. And buy your own drinks.[/citation]

Read my post above. Or if a guy buys your drink - be at the bar to get it directly from the bartender. Most guys who buys drinks for women are SAFE... but it takes one to ruin your night.

And just like "magicians" or illusionist - a distraction or slight of hand is all it takes for someone to drug you.

G

Lot of weird sexism goin on in here (it's not actually weird b/c the standard worldview of your average person is pretty sexist)

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]Unfortunately relationships are built on trust and doing so would be a clear lack of such. However, I'd be willing to go along with this if I could have a full psych eval done to ensure she doesn't have the crazy, any hidden children or gold digging tendencies.[/citation]
lol.... epic..

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
must be so much fun frakken a sleeping woman.might as well just raid the mortuary.
these date rapers sure are a creepy disgusting people who need to be good and "RAPED" when they get to the big house.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
they already have had a sensor in the form of a place card and a napkin, you dip some of your drink onto the place card or napkin and if it turns blue, it's drugged if it doesn't the drink is fine, it's much more discrete and convenient than some sensor tester that will more then likely resemble the pregnancy tester sticks, and could easily get mixed up.
i would like to see the material used to test in the place cards/napkins applied into a drink stirrer for one time use.

Status
Not open for further replies.