Shany Levi

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi friends!
I've been reading here for a while, and you guys already helped me a lot without even knowing!
SO THANKS!

Okay, so I'm a graphic designer and a Video Editor, and I'm going to buy a new laptop this week.
YES. I know that the best thing for me is a desktop.
But my life is too mobile and it has to be a laptop. HAVE TO.

After a research I decided to dump the idea of a workstation and go for a really strong gamer-laptop.
My budget is about 3200$.
Right now I'm having hard time to understand the hardware priorities for my needs. Which system is the best for me?
I know that numbers don't mean anything and the real test is with real-time-gaming. but I couldn't find relevant tests for my needs (Adobe's softwares) which are extremely different than gaming.
so theoretically:

System 1:
GTX 980M 8GB
16GB RAM
i7-4720HQ

System 2:
SLI GTX 970 (2 X 3GB)
32GB RAM
i7-4870HQ

Very important: SLI HAS NO MEANING FOR ME.
Adobe don't know how to use an SLI configuration yet, so it will be treated as a Single GTX 970 3GB.
Basically, I think it's a question of:
5GB more of vRAM vs 16GB more of RAM.
Please fix me if I'm wrong!

100000X thank you!!
Shany.

Solution

vram is the gpu's own ram, if you have an sli 970 with 3gb each, it'd still be 3gb of vram, more vram is needed for multi monitor, or games heavily modded

Shany Levi

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
"I'd go for the extra vram, since you can always change/add your own ram"
I can't- it's a laptop and those are the max-RAM-configuration.

Can you please explain how does it work?
Like, is the vRAM is the essential component to for real-time-display?
What if I use few softwares in the same time? won't it kill my RAM and make my system's strength irrelevant?

Thank you guys so much!
I appreciate it!
Shany.

legend001523

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014

vram is the gpu's own ram, if you have an sli 970 with 3gb each, it'd still be 3gb of vram, more vram is needed for multi monitor, or games heavily modded

Solution