A way to get the benefits of headphone amp without buying?

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
I have speakers that use external power from the outlet, and they have a headphone output that I can plug my headphones into. I found that when plugging it from speaker instead of the computer, the sound is different. There is more bass?, and the volume can go louder? Is this my imagination? Or is it actually affecting the sound?

Solution
if you want the benefits of a proper headphone amplifier you need to buy a proper headphone amplifier.

you can certainly get a decent amp under $100 but again it depends on what headphones you have. if you dont have high end headphones it may not matter at all.

with that said, some speakers may have a little amplifier in them for headphones while others might be passthrough only. as said before, for some people and basic headphones this can be more than sufficient.. it depends on what you have and how picky you are.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

A built in amp could be comparable to a headphone amp right?

Again, depends on the speaker. Unless you pay >$200, most likely you're getting absolute garbage compared to a real amp (not all the time, but chances are very high)

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

These speakers are Bose companion 2 series ii.

if you want the benefits of a proper headphone amplifier you need to buy a proper headphone amplifier.

you can certainly get a decent amp under $100 but again it depends on what headphones you have. if you dont have high end headphones it may not matter at all.

with that said, some speakers may have a little amplifier in them for headphones while others might be passthrough only. as said before, for some people and basic headphones this can be more than sufficient.. it depends on what you have and how picky you are.

Solution