A10-7870K APU and Windows Mixed Reality Headset (HP) Compatibility

colbyascott

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Bought a HP headset without bothering to check requirements (yes, stupid I know). According to the VR system check the only real issue is that the on-die GPU uses WDDM 2.1 and VR needs 2.2. Is there anyway to force the driver to update?

Does anyone with only an APU have a mixed reality headset working properly?

Wondering if a discrete GPU would fix the issue?

My system is A10-7870K APU with 16GB Ram and 240GB SSD. No discrete video (only on-die).

Solution
You should be able to just update the graphics driver and get newer WDDM support. It should be up to 2.3 by now.

Microsoft's hardware requirements for Mixed Reality mention Intel HD Graphics, but not integrated graphics from AMD, so whether it will work is hard to say. The integrated graphics should be powerful enough for the same basic use as Intel HD Graphics allows, but for games you would need a dedicated graphics card anyway.

Sakkura

Distinguished
You should be able to just update the graphics driver and get newer WDDM support. It should be up to 2.3 by now.

Microsoft's hardware requirements for Mixed Reality mention Intel HD Graphics, but not integrated graphics from AMD, so whether it will work is hard to say. The integrated graphics should be powerful enough for the same basic use as Intel HD Graphics allows, but for games you would need a dedicated graphics card anyway.

Solution

colbyascott

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018

Updated to the latest Radeon driver for the APU (17.12.1) and it is still using 2.1. Any way to force an update?

Here are the VR test results:

Can't run mixed reality
This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements needed to run Windows Mixed Reality.

Ok Operating system Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later
Untested Graphics card AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics This hardware configuration might work with Windows Mixed Reality, but it hasn't been tested yet.
Error Graphics driver 23.20.15002.11 (WDDM 2.1) This PC's graphics driver won't work with Windows Mixed Reality.
Ok CPU AMD A10-7870K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
Ok RAM 16 GB
Ok Disk space 94 GB
Ok USB 3.0+
Ok Bluetooth 4.0+

Sakkura

Distinguished
Huh... that is actually strange. I have a dedicated graphics card that uses the same GPU architecture, and I'm on the same driver version, but have WDDM 2.3 support. And you are running Win 10 so that's not the issue either. No idea why it's only running WDDM 2.1 for you.

Anyway, a dedicated graphics card should fix the issue, and would also be the way to get enough performance for games etc.