kezehh

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I am looking at getting a VR setup for my pc, for use with Steam VR.

Obviously there is alot of talk about the VIVE and RIFT. But has anyone here had experience with the Windows Mixed Reality Headsets? are they any better than the rift?

I aim to play VR games in a small space (standing only with small amounts of left and right movement) but do however which to have ability to turn 360 degrees, which I have heard the rift has issues with if you dont have 3 sensors.

Any assistance on what would be a good choice for a VR headset + Controllers would be appreciated.

Solution

2 sensors do allow full 360 degree rotation, but the tracking can hitch a little here and there, especially if the sensors aren't mounted up high and angled downwards.

As for the Pimax 8K and 5K (the 4K is the old version), they seem to be getting delayed...

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I haven't seen all that much coverage of Windows Mixed Reality Headsets yet. As far as as I know, Tom's hasn't reviewed any of them so far, despite most of the existing models launching a couple months back. From the reviews I have seen though, their reception has been a bit mixed. >_>

Linus Tech Tips did a review in which they didn't seem entirely thrilled with them, or at least, with the single, lower-end model that they reviewed. They also mentioned being a bit disappointed to discover that this first round of Windows Mixed Reality headsets are actually only VR headsets, and don't actually do "mixed reality", as in overlaying virtual objects over one's actual surroundings. They also mentioned that the pricing wasn't as impressive as when the headsets were first announced, since Oculus adjusted the price of their own headset to be more competitive. However, looking at the current sale pricing of these Windows headsets on Amazon, they seem to have come down quite a bit from their launch pricing, with some available, with controllers, for as little as $230 USD at the moment. I've seen a couple other reviews where WMR headsets were much more positively received, but not really from any sources I was familiar with, or would consider "reputable". What I would really like to see would be a roundup of all these headsets side-by-side, compared directly to each other as well as to the current headsets from HTC and Oculus. In general, it sounds like they have higher resolution screens than the Vive or Rift, along with easier setup without base stations, which could theoretically allow one to show off their device at someplace like a friend's house without going through a lengthy setup process that requires running cables and positioning sensors. So they seem more portable. On the other hand, the ergonomics and possibly build quality might not be quite as good, and it sounds like the controller tracking isn't quite on par with the HTC Vive, or even a Rift with three cameras. And of course, with the displays of these WMR headsets having 60-77% more pixels than the Vive or Rift, you'll likely need some pretty high end graphics hardware to run games designed for those other headsets on them.

As for the Rift benefiting from a third camera sensor, it is worth pointing out that the base package comes with 2 sensors, and an additional sensor with extension cable is just $59 USD, resulting in a total price that is still significantly less than a Vive.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Is steam a major source of your games? Do you want to be able to play your games and answer phone calls without taking off your headset? The Vive is the winner in this area. Get the Rift if you only plan to play racing/flight sim mainly. I just got done playing Onward and 3 people in the game complained about not being able to turn around properly with their Rifts.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Misinformation. You can turn around just fine with a Rift. Just get 3 sensors for optimal tracking.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I plan on getting the 8K one just for games like Elite dangerous, and flight/racing games where you will be using other controllers anyways.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pimax-8k-vr-headset-trial,35745.html Looks like something to keep an eye on.

VR right now, imo; is something you're either willing to throw money at or its best to wait it out a bit longer.

kezehh

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
The problem with the rift is that the room I will be using will have difficulty to have a 3 sensor setup or a 2 sensor 'experimental setup' to allow for full 360 degree rotation in games.

The space I have is limited, so small standing room. This is one of the reasons I mentioned about windows mixed reality, as its inside out tracking. However it is a shame that no where near as many people have experience with these products.

kezehh

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

I have seen things with the pimax 8k and the 4k, However i havent really seen anything about controller support/sensors.

delta5

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I think right now it is whatever it comes with for the pure VR games. It'll be nice to see the market open up to allow you to use whatever VR controllers you want with no hassle.

Sakkura

Distinguished

2 sensors do allow full 360 degree rotation, but the tracking can hitch a little here and there, especially if the sensors aren't mounted up high and angled downwards.

As for the Pimax 8K and 5K (the 4K is the old version), they seem to be getting delayed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pimax-8k-vr-headset-delayed,36185.html

Solution