about Linux system

jenny91

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I'm confuse actually I wanted to know when is it necessary to log in as root in a Linux system
I try so hard but it get error...anybody please help me.....my laptop is corrupted :(

Depending on your distribution, "root" account might be disabled - that is the case in Ubuntu (I am not sure about Debian). So, you log in with ordinary user account, and either "sudo -i" or "su -"

YOu can also boot in "safe" mode, through an entry in your GRUB menu. What is the corruption?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
When it prompts you to log in as root.
...and it will prompt you whenever changes are trying to be made to the system that the user does not have privileges to. For example to install/remove software, apply updates, modify/delete files, etc.

If you are not able to log in as root then you are typing your root password wrong. What exactly is happening with your system that makes you think it is "corrupt"? Is it just not logging in as root or are you having other problems?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

The only time you use root is to make changes to the system and requires your password, this is to prevent unauthorised changes, like viruses for example, or accidentally changing something important. You should think of root as a super administrator. If you tell us what is actually giving you trouble we'll try to help. If English is not your primary language and you find French easier go ahead.

TRENDING THREADS