About Microsoft.NET Framework compatibility

Ignoranta

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
Are Microsoft.NET Framework different versions compatible?

I mean, I got many versions installed in my XP SP2 machine, and, if logic prevails, I surely could just uninstall all the previous, outdated versions, leaving only the most recent one...

On the other hand... of course I'm aware that some Programs only work with a specific Version.

Or not?

Well, I'd like to hear the experts...

Any hints are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Ignoranta

Solution
.NET Framework versions are technically backwards compatible with software compiled for older versions. However, some software is unnecessarily picky and will just refuse to work until you install the "correct" version. Try leaving just 4.0 installed and see if everything works ok. I've occasionally needed 3.5 as well. .NET 4.5 does not officially support anything older than Vista (with SP2 I think), so I wouldn't waste time messing with that.

randomizer

Distinguished
.NET Framework versions are technically backwards compatible with software compiled for older versions. However, some software is unnecessarily picky and will just refuse to work until you install the "correct" version. Try leaving just 4.0 installed and see if everything works ok. I've occasionally needed 3.5 as well. .NET 4.5 does not officially support anything older than Vista (with SP2 I think), so I wouldn't waste time messing with that.

Solution

Ignoranta

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014

Thanks to all the people who bothered to reply, scout_03 & rgd1101, but I chose the answer by randomizer as the one which gave me a better perspective on the case.

As he suggested, I surely will make some experiences later, but now I think my ideas about this "Microsoft.NET Framework" are a bit clearer.

Thanks to all, great community!

Cheers!

Ignoranta