Ac adapter not recognized

Ayush_Wesker

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015
I have dell laptop (inspiron 3542). My laptop suddenly stopped charging properly today. It says plugged in,not charging. During reboot a warning message appears saying ac adapter not recognized. Laptop will run in low performance mode to cope up with low power supply. Due to this games lag a lot. No matter what settings i change i still can't get laptop to performe in full mode. It there any way to get 100% performance despite of adapter error.
Note that its not a new problem. Every now and then it stops recognizing adapter but disconnecting it and letting laptop run for 5-10 mins and then plugging it back seemed to solve the problem but not this time. Please suggest something to achieve performance.

Solution
I don't know this for a fact because I've never broken one open but I suspect there is some firmware that communicates between the battery pack and the charging circuit in the laptop. So it could be a problem in the battery pack or in the charging circuit.

Batteries don't recharge forever so I suspect your battery is near its end of life. If that's the case, there's nothing that you can do with settings to improve the situation. You'll need a new battery pack and/or a charging circuit repair. I would replace the battery first and if that doesn't solve it take it to a shop to have them check the charging circuit.

BTW, you'll need a Dell battery to ensure you get the correct firmware and hardware. A 3rd party battery may be cheaper but...

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I don't know this for a fact because I've never broken one open but I suspect there is some firmware that communicates between the battery pack and the charging circuit in the laptop. So it could be a problem in the battery pack or in the charging circuit.

Batteries don't recharge forever so I suspect your battery is near its end of life. If that's the case, there's nothing that you can do with settings to improve the situation. You'll need a new battery pack and/or a charging circuit repair. I would replace the battery first and if that doesn't solve it take it to a shop to have them check the charging circuit.

BTW, you'll need a Dell battery to ensure you get the correct firmware and hardware. A 3rd party battery may be cheaper but it mat not have the correct firmware/hardware to correct your proble.

Solution