AC adapter won't work when battery is in laptop (HP Elitebook 8560w)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opus77

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Hello, I have an HP Elitebook 8560w. The AC replacement adapter started to act strangely after just two weeks. This adapter has the exact same specs as the original HP adapter but is not made by HP..

The only way for it to work now (turn on the laptop) is to remove the battery first, before hitting the power button.

If I leave the battery in, it will power on IF there is enough charge left on the battery but it will run on battery power only and won't show the plug on the battery icon. Removing the battery will turn off the laptop as it doesn't seem to ''see'' that the AC adapter is plugged in.

If I have the laptop on with only the battery in, and then plug in the adapter, nothing happens. It doesn't see the adapter. It keeps running on battery.

Again, without the battery, the adapter will start the laptop and work fine if I stay plugged in.

I checked the battery by using my old AC adapter and everything works fine, it charges and the laptop sees the AC adapter. I have never seen this problem with an adapter before. Is it just a bad adapter or did I miss something?

Arno_1

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks Laptop_Nerd

The thing is I didn't replace the battery.

It is still the original battery i received with the laptop that worked all the time until a while ago, which is the weird part

daj29152

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

daj29152

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I had the same exact thing just happen to my 8560W. Fortunately, my machine has the 2nd clip-on battery was good yet. Using your story I removed the primary battery and the machine"saw" the AC and started.

Conclusion:. The original factory battery is dead-shorted. A new proper matching battery should do the trick.

Espeter

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
i had the sam problem with my hp lap when it off it can charge but when i power it on it will not charge please what will be the solution please am borden i had buy a new battery no way pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.