Accidentally closed laptop while updating windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippie

Prominent
May 13, 2017
I accidentally closed the lid of my laptop while it was doing a Windows update last night. Opening the lid this morning, it's been stuck for hours on the screen saying:"configuring Windows update 30%", though the little update wheel is turning. What to do? I have basically no tech knowledge, so any help in non-tech savvy language would be appreciated.

Solution
It sounds like you have corrupted the update when the lid closed. Press and hold the power button until the laptop turns off and restart. 99% of the time, when it's powered back on, it will reboot without issue, you may get a screen advising that it is rolling back / undoing what it already did or it may ask you to run start up repair ( depends on OS ), just let it do it's thing. then go ahead and rerun the updates again.
It sounds like you have corrupted the update when the lid closed. Press and hold the power button until the laptop turns off and restart. 99% of the time, when it's powered back on, it will reboot without issue, you may get a screen advising that it is rolling back / undoing what it already did or it may ask you to run start up repair ( depends on OS ), just let it do it's thing. then go ahead and rerun the updates again.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.