Accidently entered my username and password into a phishing site. Should I be worried?

FearLegendary

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Long story short, I play video games and a certain game that I play I accidently entered it into a site that was very similar in terms of logging in (looked exactly the same).

I noticed that my password was changed, however I recovered my account via email and changed the password as well as scanned my computer with avast just to make sure.

There's no way that somehow a virus got onto my computer through a phishing link, correct? Nothing downloaded and I checked my computer and chrome for recent downloads and I see nothing.

If there are any additional steps I should take, please let me know. I get paranoid about things like these and just want to make sure I don't get hacked again.

should be fine if you were able to change it, they can't get back in and change it again, and shouldn't have gotten any spyware. As you see, they goal is to get your creds, then change your password, then depending on the game, if they can, steal and transfer your license key, or in a lot of rpg's, just login and sell your items.

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
> There's no way that somehow a virus got onto my computer through a phishing link, correct? Nothing downloaded and I checked my computer and chrome for recent downloads and I see nothing.

No, not correct. That's the entire point. It's a virus because it's malicious and it could do whatever it wants any way it wants, it doesn't need to show up like that so I don't think you can just look at your Downloads directory and say "Yep, no viruses there." It could be anywhere.

The Avast scan is much more reliable, though if you pair it with another AV/Spyware tool you'll probably be good.

Meanwhile, any other things you use with the same username and password could be compromised. And anything that is on the account you entered is also compromised; if there was an attached credit card, for example, that should be reported stolen just to be safe. Hopefully it was a unique username/password for this game with no personal information and not like, your Steam account.