Acer 5750g getting seriously hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello,
just a quick question about a opossible fix for the acer 5750g and its spicy hot i5 cpu, ive seen some post around saying about a fix, but without any detail to the fix, so can anyone help out?

Regards
Chromechief

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi yes i have contacted acer tech support (if you could call it support) the just sent me the default ... use cooling pad ... run in power saver mode ... check drivers ect :/ not handy , the machine is only 4 days old at this point . im monitoring temps with core temp and speedfan , i currently have a cooler under the laptop also have a ghetto 3 120mm fan setup going at the back of the machine, temps are at the moment 56idle 80-100 load ... the 100 was achieved when playing fear :/ under the balanced power setting. ive checked to see if the fan is spinning which it is .. and at this point i doubt dust would be an issue after 4 days .

Thanks again for the quick reply .

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try cranking back your graphics settings so that the GPU won't have to work so hard (and hot). Many laptops are just designed poorly when it comes to heat management. You may have one of those....not a criticism, but a possibility.

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
thanks for the advise :) and yeah i know the feeling xD ive tried everything i can think of cooling the machine, no battery and even more. my only concern is at this temperature this laptop isnt going to last long :S. just tried turning the settings down to low ... it looks like its mainly that i5 pumping out the heat .. the 540m sits ok at 40-50*c :/

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I know what you mean about getting hot. I have an i7 based Alienware M15x, that even with great cooling gets hot enough to be uncomfortable at times.

I feel your pain, so to speak, but your options with the rig you have are limited. Good luck!

greatforce

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
It is normal for a laptop to get hot.
My Acer Aspire 5520 hits the 40-50c in idle and 80c while gaming.
The heat is mostly caused by the GPU.
The Aero style also contributes to the heat development.

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
ahh thats great then :) i was just compairing it to my old dv6 3111sa which got to 60 load in max performance and 40 idle :/ but if it normal thats ok :) thx for the reply

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thank you for contacting Acer UK.

Regarding your enquiry, we regret the inconvenience experienced. The architecture of your computer is designed in such a way if higher temperatures are attained it will be managed by the cooling system and other internal components by sharing the burden of the processor.

If the unit is shutting down, freezing or producing abnormal heat with in a limited span of time then we can suspect it as a hardware fault. In these scenarios we can take the computer for repair.

So do not worry and enjoy happy computing.

Acers reply... if anyone is interested :)

greatforce

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
You don't need an answer from Acer to know that your laptop has a temperature sensor.
All laptops have a temperature sensor that shut down the laptop if it get's dangerously hot.

But before that happens, the laptop does this:
- If it is hot for too long, it will turn down the performance.
- If the laptop is still not cooling down, it will turn down the performance even more.
- If that doesn't help, it will simply turn itself of (not shutting down, turning off imidiatly).

But most laptops don't get so hot that they turn themselves of.

You'll need to clean your laptop regulary to prevent overheating caused by dust.
Cleaning once in a year should be enough, if not twice a year should do the trick.

chromechief

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
i know the machine has a sensor for when it gets close to causing damage but this isnt my point , the fact the cpu is reaching 100*c reported by temperature monitoring software and the cpu max temp is 100 ... is well .... odd either, a, core temp , realtemp and speedfan are reading the temps wrong, or the overheat protection aint kicking in ... or the max temp is more than 100*c. I know about laptop cooling etc .. as i am a technician at a pc repair shop :)

greatforce

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
You shouldn't worry about your laptop temperature.
Because I think it is a hardware error.

Don't worry about it, I have seen these problems before.
The computers I saw with these problems didn't get damaged by high temperature and they all worked fine.

If you are really worried, you can try a cooling pad.
But I don't think it is necessary.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This sounds like a wonky sensor. Using CPU-Z, can you tell when SpeedStep is kicking in (when the system is not under load)?

G

For everyone havin problems with heat on the aspire 5750g:

I had the same problem. The fan just doesn't kick in at max before the cpu reaching 96-100c. My gaming performance suffered as well, probably because the gpu or cpu clocked down because of the heat. CPU and GPU are on the same cooling array. :ange: I had disabled turboboost because of this, and lost some fps, and gpu did not achieve full usage.

Anyways, the new BIOS, version 1.19 did something. It seems as thou acer finally got their *** togather, so with the new bios the laptop doesnt spit flames anymore. Allthou it does get hot. :sweat:

I was seeing temps in the 96-98c for cpu and 89 for gpu playing skyrim. With the new bios, i never got over 90c on the CPU (normal 87c), and the gpu also is much cooler. Togather with a homemade cooling pad, temps never go beyond 86c for cpu and 80c for gpu.

Note that idle temps will stay about the same. My guess is that the temp threshold has been set lower with the new bios, so the fan starts doing its thing before any throttledown occurs. Even with a cooling pad, the idle temp is the same, probably because the internal fan just shuts down.

This even made me able to overclock my gpu (gt 540m) to the same clock as the gt 550m (same chip), and the maximum temp did NOT get affected! happy tiimes :love:

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?tab=5&modelId=3475

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
thats great !!! i know people with these units who were opening them up and putting better thermal paste on the cpu and gpu, the factory stuff is a joke, and dropping temps 7-15 degrees.

darkdestro28

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2012
Hi there how did u get it working well just your own cooling pad and new bios? i tried 1.20 and it didnt work still turned off after 10 minutes after using nvidiA

Superman9

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I fly Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 with Traffic 2005, FS Global, A380, Concorde,F117A Stealth Fighter etc and cook the little finger on my left hand having to use Tilde,1,W in Airline Pilot. I think I will look for a cooler fan tray for under the computer and put ice cubes in it. Good luck everyone. Play X-Plane 9 on your IPAD instead. They should of only let Steve Jobs make computers. :pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.