Acer 5v-131 w7 Pro clean install

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I just bought a Acer 5V-131 and I would like to upgrade the OS to W7 Pro. The only problem is the HDD that came with the notebook has a reinstall partition on the hard drive. If I take out the HDD and install a clean HDD and then install W7 pro will the MB see the modem and let me set it up wireless. No disc were sent with the notebook so I am uncertian how a clean install will work with the notebook. I understand my deck top because it came with a install disk for the MB. The notebook does come with a program that lets you make backup disc, but would that hold the info on the MB and how would you find that info??

You can download the necessary drivers directly from Acer: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers For that model you will need to look under Ultra-thin and not notebooks.
You will need to know whether the wireless LAN adapter is Atheros (with or without Bluetooth), Broadcom or Intel so you will choose the correct driver. Do the following to find out which one you have you will need to get into Device Manager and look under Network adapters.

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I found out that the wireless network adapter is a Atheros AR5BWB222. I don't know if I did this right but I went to the driver download page like you told me to. I then downloaded all of the drivers there to a DVD+R RW just in case I need to download more then just the wireless adapter. I don't know what W7 does when it is install, like looking for the chip set?? Or is this still on the MB and W7 will see it when installed??

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Great info from you. Plus I am glad I made a copy of the download for the wireless lan adapter. Everything else went great. The only small problem I have is in device manager. There is a yellow mark by "SM host adapter" I have no idea what that is and I can't find anything like that for a download at Acer downloads. Any idea what that is and how to find it so I can install??

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009